Angry, squished passengers turn flying into contact sport

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Dec 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://seattletimes.com/html/travel/2022516231_jammedplanesxml.html
    [​IMG]
    Flying coach can be a bruising experience these days.

Rory Rowland said he was rudely rebuffed after he asked the person in front of him not to recline his seat on a red-eye flight. When he later got up to use the bathroom, and the other passenger had fallen asleep, “I hip-checked his seat like you wouldn’t believe,” Rowland, a speaker and consultant, said, then feigned innocence when the enraged passenger complained to a flight attendant.

With air travelers increasingly feeling like packed sardines, flying has become a contact sport, nowhere more than over the reclined seat.

Now, it’s only getting worse, as airlines re-examine every millimeter of the cabin.

Over the last two decades, the space between seats — hardly roomy before — has fallen about 10 percent, from 34 inches to somewhere between 30 and 32 inches. Today, some airlines are pushing it even further, leaving only a knee-crunching 28 inches.

To gain a little more space, airlines are turning to a new generation of seats that use lighter materials and less padding, moving the magazine pocket above the tray table and even reducing or eliminating the recline in seats. Some are even reducing the number of galleys and bathrooms.

Read More: http://seattletimes.com/html/travel/2022516231_jammedplanesxml.html

8MiHi, vickers, Newscience and 3 others like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting, sobore! Everything described in this article has occurred in most of the major airlines coach class cabins, and in spades.

And it's no surprise to hear of "passenger rage" on a flight where passengers are treated with about as much more comfort as their checked bags! :(

Flyer1976 likes this.
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If someone hip-checked me there will be HELL to pay. ;)

Newscience likes this.
  4. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just last week the "gentleman" in front of me reclined his seat so abruptly that it caused my water to spill all over me. (my fault-not his for daring to presume my tray table was to be used, he had the supreme right to recline as he needed and was affronted by my dismay over the spill) the tray tables are fixed in each row in the arm rest, not moving with the seat in front. He also wanted to store his laptop bag under his seat, he was in row one and did not want to store his gear in the overhead, he demanded I remove my bag and put it in the overhead so he could store his bag under his seat. Unfortunately now, I have no sympathy for any person that reclines due to the bad taste in my mouth left by this guy.

vickers and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bulkhead seats CAN be an issue for the pax in them. However, the underseat is not their's but yours. When I am seated in bulkhead (not that often, if I can help it), I would never dream of requesting that space for my "stuff." That is exactly what the overhead bins are for.

Now, I do have a problem with non-bulkhead folk, who fill my overhead bins with giant wheelies, that will only fit in long-ways, filling them completely, and not use any of THEIR underseat storage! That has happened on several flights, and it's not a pretty scene, when it does. One reason that I will do everything to be in the boarding queue, immediately after the UA Global Services folk, and military. I do not want someone from back in the cabin using up ALL overhead space, if I am in a bulkhead seat.

6. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I wish the seats did not recline

ella and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I've never really had any sympathy for someone who reclines.

This would make me very happy.

vickers likes this.
  8. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't usually recline my seat - upright seems to be easier on my back - but I understand why some on redeyes recline theirs. I just would appreciate that they recline gradually rather than slam it all the way back without looking or warning.

9. cjl425

cjl425 Active Member

Status Points:
    I wish they would setup the chairs to only recline slowly... I remember this year I was taking a late IAD-SMF flight. I was sitting in E+ and decided I would start on the food I had brought on the plane. As I leaned over my tray table to take a bite the person in front abruptly reclined right into the top of my head.

8MiHi likes this.