Anger over American Airlines' hunt for the hottest flight attendants

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by sobore, May 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy and Horse like this.
  2. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What a sexist degrading waste of time American Airlines is promoting. :rolleyes:

When the airlines like to remind us that the FAs are there for our safety, then treat them like eye candy... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

2soonold, Horse and uggboy like this.
  3. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is very sad to read. I wouldn't have expected it from AA, and hope that the airline never does something like this again.

Wurm, 2soonold, Horse and 1 other person like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another publicity ploy to get attention in my books!:(
    In my opinion they would be a better role model by investing in training, offer better services and food on planes!:rolleyes:

Grace, 2soonold and Horse like this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it for female FAs exclusively or can male FAs also "win" here?

uggboy likes this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now that would be a fair and square competition!:confused:

Wurm likes this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well the competition is to model the new uniforms, no? They're introducing a new male uniform (stripped shirts I heard? Not sure....), so I'd suspect yes.

For what it's worth, my very first job out of college required me to sign a modeling release. The company used its own employees in all advertisements, and the owner would make periodic walks through the entire office to select those she thought would look good on the ads/catalogue, etc. It did stir up anger and resentment among the staff though. Those who weren't picked felt they were being called unattractive.

8. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given the significantly higher percentage of female FAs vs male FAs, does it really matter????

It is still degrading and really unimportant... and still a "beauty contest"..... :rolleyes:

MikeMpls likes this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Says the commenter with a female pin-up icon as a profile picture.... :D;) j/k

10. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    TennisPro and sobore like this.
  11. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I should apply at AA ;)

TennisPro, penumpang and Gargoyle like this.
  12. TennisPro
    Original Member

TennisPro Silver Member

Status Points:
    It will be tough to compete with Virgin, in the friendly, attractive, flight attendant category, but I give American credit for at least trying to improve.

penumpang and hulagrrl210 like this.
  13. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I think all American FAs should be ranked by attractiveness, from 1 for the top down to whatever, and receive a pin with their ranking number on it. If they choose to wear threatening union pins while on duty, they should have to wear their attractiveness ranking pin also. :)

Jslo, tahewett, Tenmoc and 1 other person like this.
  14. thetravelloop
    Original Member

thetravelloop Silver Member

Status Points:
    Along with their IQ and bra size. :rolleyes:

15. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1
    Many retailers (Target, etc) use employees as models (although typically portrayed as more "normal people" than "models"). If this is the biggest issue that the AA staff has, then they are living a pretty charmed life.

16. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    What would REALLY be poetic justice would be to run this same competition in the AMR executive offices.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but even I can discern that Arpey is no blend of George Clooney, Brad Pitt and Robert Pattinson (he's more like the nightmare spawn of Phyllis Diller and Justin Bieber) :eek::eek:

techgirl, Jslo, tahewett and 3 others like this.
  17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    PMNW used some FAs and pursers in billboard ads as well as in their safety video. I'm not sure how the people were selected, but they seemed to think it was fun and not at all inappropriate.

DL also uses FAs in their safety video, in particular the renowned Deltalina (not the Deltalina on MP, that would be something else!) with her finger wag. For this, the selection involved try-outs and again, it seems to be viewed as fun, although it has made Deltalina famous and given her a lot of attention within the company.

18. What a great contest idea. Finally something different, as lately I noticed AA is succeeding in placing rather unattractive and very RUDE and lazy FAs on their flights. Let's bring some competitiveness into the profession. I support the effort.

penumpang likes this.
  19. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Highlighting the investment and professionalism of the new uniforms of AA is a good idea.

20. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just reread articles. The people who were selected seemed flattered. So, the people who didn't like the beauty contest must be those who were not chosen. :D

I don't see anything wrong with having attractive people to represent the airline (look at Virgin, SQ, Etihad, and the likes -- of course AA FAs are nowhere near any of them in terms of attractiveness). It's not like AA will then fire the unattractive ones after the contest is over.

21. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually Secret I'd like to put a business reason for hot thin FAs.

It takes less energy/fuel to get them into the air. Its all a cost savings for the airline. That's all. :D

Wurm likes this.
  22. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Notwithstanding the merits of the contest, I'll merely note that "thin" is not a mandatory prerequisite for "hot" :) ;)

Give me a Rubensque figure in a woman anytime over some sub-Twiggy-like homonculus. And as a guy, I'd rather be chunky than look like one of those rail-thin fashion models who look like they just emerged from a couple of years in solitary confinement. :cool:

tahewett and Tenmoc like this.
  23. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I couldn't disagree more with this statement....

AA is certainly not competing with Virgin or Singapore Airlines, but with my 100,000+ miles a year of flying 98% of the FAs are always polite if not downright pleasant. It's been a rare day that I've encountered a blatantly rude FA while flying. My coat is always offers to be taken, I get drinks and a meal, etc so the work gets done. This characterization seems more stereotype than real, IMHO.

Or perhaps you've had awful luck? I can't imagine our experiences have been so different.... :confused:

anabolism and Tenmoc like this.
  24. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree David.

This year in particular I've noticed a really nice bump up in the small things from AA FAs. I've had one or two bad/marginal ones, but in general many have been wonderful.

25. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points: