Android Question

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by taiwaned, Apr 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can I install a windows based software on an andriod phone? Is there any app that will allow me to do so?
    Sorry, I am still confused about the windows vs android vs ios vs palm vs etc.

2. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately you cannot install Windows software on an Android device. They are all different operating systems. Go to the Android Market and look for the app that approximates your Windows software.

DonV.Smith and doc like this.
  3. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    No you cannot, as far as I know,unfortunately.
    FWIW, however, as a longtime Windows user, going way back to the beginning...
    Android is a pretty darn good OS.
    Hope this helps :)

4. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of the reasons I do not switch over to the Android OS is because of Microsoft Exchange for work. With a WM device, I am able to listen to voicemails with ease. My colleague recently picked up an Android device and is unable to listen to voicemails. We did a quick search for apps to overcome this obstacle, but to no avail.

Has anyone else found an app that will allow voicemails on Exchange to be heard on Android?

5. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why? Is there a certain app you need that isn't on Android?

6. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, there is a dictionary/library/translation software for windows that I wanted to install.

7. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hm...I'll take a look on the Market later

8. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    This makes no sense to me the basic music app should be able to pick and play the message. I haven't tried this, but will once I change the work phone settings (it forwards to the cell, so all messages are there directly, but the work phone has the voice message attached to email feature and now I'm curious).

9. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    My guess is that the VM are in .WMA on the exchange server as that is A) Microsoft's own codec and B) probably also the most compressed (compared to MP3 or WAV). I don't think Android natively plays .WMA files.

10. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know..I would expect something like uLaw as WMA is quite resource intensive to encode...
    At the end of the the day you do have a point however:if HTC/Moto/LG doesn't pay for your device to have a WMA license...you're SOL and you have to re-encode everything you have in WMA to mp3 or AAC:mad:

11. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which is great for the keeper of the WMA license, naturally. Either their customers continue buying/using uninspiring (at least to me) Windows phones or they buy phones with licensed software.

Back on topic - Exchange 2010's integrated voicemail system (Unified Messaging is what I think they lump it all under) creates MP3's, not WMA's. So there should be no technical reason why the audio can't play. I'd guess there's some current Exchange / Android limitation or the VM is managed by a third party software and not Exchange directly. It's been many years since I've supported back end messaging systems though (and it was Lotus anyway) so I can't offer much more.

12. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for keeping the conversation going. I'm figuring that if my little IT dept can't figure it out, someone the in the MP community probably will

13. I'm the developer of an Android app called WavPlayer. It's US$0.99 in the Android Market and has recently been updated to support many more audio formats, including WMA as used by the Microsoft Exchange Unified Messaging System to send out voicemail.

Check out the product web page here. Since its original release, I've added support to WavPlayer for about a dozen more audio formats, and the list continues to grow.

For Android users, the built-in Mail app does not handle file attachments properly. If you have issues with them, I suggest using the K-9 Mail app, free from the Market.

Thanks,
    Dennis

SC Flier, DonV.Smith and Chimpy like this.
  14. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    WMA is supported out-of-the-box by many, but not all Android devices. For example, many Motorola and HTC phones do, while my Nexus S does not. Latest phones also have pretty good Exchange integration and support as many features as older Windows Mobile 6 phones did.

Having said that, using high-quality 3rd party applications (like aforementioned WavPlayer) is a good way to ensure consistent experience regardless of the device or carrier. Moreover, purchases from the Market are tied to your Google account, so if/when you change carrier or get a new phone, paid applications can be downloaded to a new device quite easily (and sometimes, automatically).

I have used Touchdown Exchange as my email client for a couple of years now, and it's a fantastic app, well worth $19.95 asking price. K-9 is superb for POP3/IMAP personal email.

DonV.Smith likes this.