Android photo app with shutter control?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by FlyingBear, Sep 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've looked all over, but do not seem to find any app that has shutter length control. A bunch talk about total control, yet do not offer this one part of "control" of the camera. Anyone found one that does?

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure that such a thing exists... AFAIK all cameras in smartphones have fixed optics, so you can't adjust the shutter speed or make the aperture any wider.

I could be wrong though.

3. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fixed optics affect only aperture (in this case, not for typical cameras), but do not affect shutter speed variability. The phone camera app automatically can change shutter speed, so here the question is only of adjusting it manually.

That said, apparently I have not touched enough of the screen and Camera FV-5 app does have some shutter control, but only for longer exposure, not shorter. I'll keep looking.

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could have sworn on a stack of bibles that the shutter speed was fixed at 1/20, but like I said I could be wrong. Maybe dpreview.com or one of the other camera sites would have something? I know that they've recently started delving into the world of mobile phones.

5. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it was fixed at 1/20th second, you'd have a lot of blurry motion pictures and your day pictures would be overexposed to a point of being totally white. If you have Android, just go into gallery of pictures you took with the phone camera and click details on any of the pictures, you'll see that shutter speed changes.

I'll look into dpreview as well, thanks.

Gargoyle likes this.