Andaz Tokyo Toranomon Hills Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Tokyo Hyatt Fan, Jun 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Tokyo Hyatt Fan

Tokyo Hyatt Fan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was one of the first 50 parties to stay at the Andaz Tokyo Toranomon Hills on opening night. Here are a few of my thoughts:

* Check-in is done on a wooden table in a room with a large ceiling. Staff come by to check you in via iPad and offer refreshments while you wait. It felt a lot like checking in at a club lounge, only there is no club lounge in this hotel; this is service that everyone may partake in.

* The check-in process was a bit clunky, but this could be expected on opening day. The Front Office Manager, a very nice lady from Andaz London, introduced herself and explained the Andaz concept of breaking down barriers between staff and guests, and making the place feel like an extension of your home. She was the only person to follow the Andaz concept; everyone else operated like this was a traditional Japanese luxury hotel.

* The manager explained to me that the hotel will be exempt from the Diamond Suite Upgrade use, on account of the limited number of suites available. However, to those that were able to get the suite upgrades applied during the first few hours of the opening of reservations, those upgrades will be honored.

* As a Diamond, I was upgraded from the Andaz Twin room that I booked to an Andaz Bay View Twin. There is a better class of room called an Andaz Large room, but this is only available with King size beds.

* I really disliked the design of this room, especially the sleeping area. White walls with partitions of random lengths all along. It reminded me of sleeping in an insane asylum. At least the beds were comfortable, and the WiFi was really fast (possibly due to the hotel running at only at 30% capacity on opening night)

* On the other hand, the pool and spa area was stunning. I think that the pool itself is the best that I have seen at any luxury hotel in Tokyo, though the spa area is not quite as good as the Park Hyatt Tokyo's Club on the Park.

* The food that I had here was excellent. The burger from BeBu that I ordered as room service was one of the best that I've ever eaten, and the morning breakfast buffet at the Tavern was both delicious and fun. While Diamond breakfast is comped, you will get a bill that you have to sign, which will be over 4500 yen per person. This amount will be deducted from your folio before you leave.

All in all it was an interesting experience, but if you are making your first trip to Tokyo, one of the other Hyatt hotels is probably a better option.

I have a ton of pictures and videos that I took available on my site. Here is the direct URL:
    www.tokyohyattfan.com/2014/06/11/andazamania-live-coverage-of-grand-opening-of-andaz-tokyo-toranomon-hills/

Some pictures that didn't make it onto my blog are also available from my Twitter feed, linked to in my signature.

2. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for review - great to see something so early on. Pity about the suite upgrade certificates, but this one will go on the list.

TAHKUCT and uggboy like this.
  3. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great review. Considering canceling my stay there in July and just sticking with the HR since the Diamond upgrade to a club room gives a pretty cool room.

Did they require you to wear the swim cap or was it optional? Never been anywhere where it was required before.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  4. Tokyo Hyatt Fan

Status Points:
    Are you new to Tokyo? The swim cap is required pretty much everywhere, including Hyatt Regency Tokyo.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  5. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never gone to a spa in Tokyo, but I have stayed in Tokyo in the past...good to know, guess I'll never visit a spa in Tokyo.

6. Tokyo Hyatt Fan

Status Points:
    The swimming caps (as well as goggles in some places) for the pools are provided free of charge.

The "spa area", such as the bath and the sauna, are experienced in the nude with no swimming cap required.

7. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    So do the hot tubs require caps too? My anti-swim cap stance is mainly because my experience with things in japan is that they are usually much much too small for me.

8. Tokyo Hyatt Fan

Status Points:
    Possibly, but I am not the definitive word on the subject. If you have any concerns, please contact aospaandclub@andaz.com and ask.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  9. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review. I just stayed at the andaz Savannah and loved everyone there. In February I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Kyoto (one of my favorite Hyatts) and the Hyatt Regency Tokyo and the Hilton Tokyo. I'll be in Tokyo for 2 quick days next January and am already trying to decide where to stay. I'm a diamond and have points saved, but not sure I want to blow them on the "Park Hyatt Tokyo" experience. I was happy with the Hyatt Regency, and the price is right, so I'm tempted to stay there again, but am also curious about the Andaz... What looks nicest about the Andaz is the fitness room and the pool, but, honestly with jet lag and only two days, I'm not sure that's enough to spend double in points or dollars. any thoughts?

10. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Hyatt Regency last year and was very happy with the stay like you, with 2 days, probably the Andaz should be saved for a better, less-jet lagged time in future :p

IDGflygirl and katstarr like this.
  11. Tokyo Hyatt Fan

Status Points:
    During my stay last week, I noticed several people entering the jacuzzi area without swimming caps. They weren't bothered by pool staff...but I hardly ever saw the pool staff. More often than not there is nobody there.

By the way, pictures of the Andaz Suite are up on my blog!

If just two days, then I'd skip both the Regency and the Andaz, and head down the street to the historic Hotel Okura instead. It will close in August 2015, to be torn down and rebuilt as yet-another-office-building-hotel in 2019.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  12. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had a nice stay there about two weeks ago. Would definitely stay again. Staff were phenomenal and the rooms were awesome. Facilities were great as well. I just wish I had more than 15 hours on property, of which 12 were spent working and sleeping.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  13. sheikkila02

sheikkila02 Silver Member

Status Points:
    THF, we booked at the Andaz in October for 3 days (and my in laws are staying for 5), on points and Hyatt card signup free nights. If there had been availability we would have probably gone for the PHT.

Just curious: since you seem to know the Hyatts in Tokyo very well, do you know if the kinks in service etc. have been addressed at the Andaz? Skyvan's stay was pretty short.

14. I must say this hotel looks like fun, I am Four Seasons Guy . but this is more of a four star with a pool right?? If so I will do 4 days here.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015