Andaz Shanghai Announcement

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge, Oct 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
    Original Member

Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge Official Representative

Status Points:
    Today we announced the opening of Andaz Shanghai, introducing its vibrant lifestyle brand Andaz to Asia. The newly constructed 28-story hotel is located in Xintiandi, a landmark entertainment area in the heart of downtown Shanghai and a short walk to the Metro and Huai Hai Zong Road, one of the city’s main shopping areas.

Happy Travels,
    Chrissi R.

Kalboz, cennas, gleff and 4 others like this.
  2. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.
  3. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be in Shanghai next weekend, but am staying at the Grand Hyatt. If we have some extra time, we'll try to take a side trip to the Andaz for some pictures.

Kalboz likes this.
  4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent to have a nice choice in Xintiandi!

Kalboz and FriendlySkies like this.
  5. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is that now? 4 Hyatts in Shanghai? A couple more and Shanghai will have more than all of Europe put together.

6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The way the EUROZONE is going, Hyatt will look like the strategic geniuses in this case.

Kalboz likes this.
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting the photos Kalboz!

9. Bradley
    Original Member

Bradley Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is the standard upgrade/perks for Diamond and for Platinum members?

10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Recently completed a one night stay here. Pictures in post #7 provide a good idea of what the rooms look like.

The lobby is nice and was fairly quiet while I was checking in- they do have an F&B outlet on the other side of the lobby which is fairly busy but you can't hear too much from the checkin area.

Staff were super friendly and spoke English very well. Checkin was effecient and the room looked very similar to the pictures in this thread. The "choose the colour of your bathroom" button is a bit of a novelty- there are four colour choices. Internet is not that high-speed (around 2.5 mpbs) however it is free and is very stable. Minibar also had alcohol in it- although the keycard said that only non-alcoholic drinks are free the staff ensured me that if you wanted to take something alcoholic you could at no charge.

Breakfast in the morning had good service- limited selections however there were two cooks who were making to order anything you might like that they knew how to make.

All-in-all I found the service to be excellent. I also had room service which was very good quality food and was delivered in about 25 minutes. One door of a closet was broken- however it looked like it had been fixed more than once before so there may be a few "kinks" to be worked out still at the moment with furniture etc.

I will stay here again- the only problem I had was with the Dynamic Currency Conversion which they offered and I declined and they charged it anyway- it took a while to sort out the problem however they did call me when it was fixed. I really wish Hyatt et al would make it a brand standard NOT to allow Dynamic Currency Conversion. The price was 5% different which is really a lot of money when you consider a hotel at 300 EUR per night per room. Hopefully someone will bring this to the attention of Hyatt management as it is a really poor deal for the customer and the majority of the staff don't know how to override it even if they want to.

Xiantindi is one of the nicest areas of Shanghai- the only problem is that sometimes traffic can be quite challenging to get in/out of this area, however if you are able to stay here without disruptions it makes for one of the nicest areas to Shanghai to visit. Should be interesting to see what happens when the Langham (interconnected to the Andaz) is up and running.

The only other thing that could be improved on is a great conceirge- as with many Shanghai hotels even well-known restaurants (so well know that they are listed in the Hyatt guide which is in the room) such as Shintori- you need to give the address and the telephone number of the restaurant for the hotel to book. The best conceirge team I have come across is in the River Tower of the Shangri-La Pudong- otherwise most hotels in Shanghai are like using a guidebook when it comes to the conceirge. This can also be improved on.

cennas and Kalboz like this.
  11. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of the 4 Hyatts in Shanghai Conde Nast readers rank the Grand Hyatt as the best of the four much more highly rated than the Park Hyatt. Am planning a trip to China and would appreciate everyone's perspective. Same identical issue with Beijing where we will also be traveling. Thanks

12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Lighthouse-
    Where do you need to be:

Shanghai or Pudong?

The bund area is nice for tourism, but a bit of a problem for traffic if you are working.

The tunnel will take up to 45 minutes at peak times between Pudong and Shanghai- so I recommend staying on the side of the river where you are working.