Andaz Liverpool Street - London

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by From NYC, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed here a few times, always on the weekend when the rate is more reasonable. Great location to walk around on the weekends with such different parts of London to see, including across the river. Also, rather than taking the Tube, I usually go back and forth into more central parts of London via bus; much more interesting that way. Certainly, a very easy hotel to get to by public transportation as it sits above Liverpool Street rail station. It's also a London Bus terminal area, so buses head out to all areas of London from there.

Although I've not tracked it because of the length of time between my stays here, I think I've been given the same interior facing queen-bed room on each stay. Nice size room with very comfortable bed, work desk, flat-screen TV and easy internet access. The mini-bar has been filled with some nice snacks and fruit juices, and is, as the Andaz way, complimentary. Was refilled each day.

Frequently, the ground floor staff is overwhelmed by the number of people checking in or out, and I've had to wait some of the longest times ever to do either for myself. Nevertheless, friendly and knowledgeable about the area.

Love having breakfast in their restaurant, but haven't had any other meals there. Always preferred to venture out to one of the many offerings nearby.

My one little problem with the hotel has to do with the bathroom. It's laid out well, and I like the shower. However, I've always found that opening the lid on the toilet wafts up a sewer smell; perhaps something with the plumbing layout. If others haven't had this issue then it probably is a form of corroboration that I have indeed been given the same room each time.

But this isn't enough to keep me from going back there, hopefully in a different room, just for variety's sake. The fun of walking around so many different areas is just too appealing to stay away.

IDGflygirl, tom911 and Eva like this.
  2. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed here once, it was enough, back to the Churchill. Was in a weird suite that was two rooms connected by a very narrow wall just a bit larger than the doorway. However, the staff was helpful, something I have not experienced at other Andaz hotels.

Unlike the above poster, I found the location to be out of the way from most of the stuff I wanted to do.

3. Eva
    Original Member

Eva Silver Member

Status Points:
    next time we are going to choose the andaz in london.
    i´m so excited about it!
    dont like the churchill. only the area where its located is great..

4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hope you don't mind if I add a couple photos from last year (lobby doors at bottom left of first photo). They have a gorgeous building there. MORE HERE

[​IMG][​IMG]

Quasiconvexity, uggboy and Eva like this.
  5. joelfreak
    Original Member

joelfreak Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love this hotel. The attention to service, and the kindness of the staff was amazing. I plan on staying there again for my next trip to LON. There was not even an option...

uggboy likes this.
  6. joelfreak
    Original Member

joelfreak Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love this hotel. The attention to service, and the kindness of the staff was amazing. I plan on staying there again for my next trip to LON. There was not even an option...

uggboy likes this.
  7. Eva
    Original Member

Eva Silver Member

Status Points:
    th
    thanks for the photos. a also clicked on "more here" and now, i´m not sure, if i really want to go there.........

uggboy likes this.
  8. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You need to get a top floor room with portholes. I've never stayed at a hotel with portholes before.

uggboy likes this.
  9. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few more photos from the Andaz. I ate at Mikayo (Sushi), and the meal was very good, although a bit pricey.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IDGflygirl and uggboy like this.
  10. Eva
    Original Member

Eva Silver Member

Status Points:
    top floor is highly appreciated for us. my boyfriend is diamond.

uggboy likes this.
  11. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was the first Andaz property for Hyatt, I walked by the last time I was in London. I will probably stay there one my next trip across the pond.

12. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was here for six days in Dec. I have stayed exclusively at the Churchill and while I loved it, the holidays there are hit and miss. It is a very popular spot. The andaz offered me a fab. Govt rate and a chance to use a suite upgrade, so we bit. I was very unsure about the location at first. I lived in London and have spent time wandering around the "city", but was concerned that it might be a strange place to stay on the weekends. Hah. Nothing further from the truth. I love Spitalfields and the st. John location. Connection to rail and tube are also awesome. Now for the hotel, suite was great if not oddly laid out. I despised the bathroom, especially the noise from flushing. I did like the toiletries. The atrium/function space was used by holiday parties during our stay, but closing the fire doors helped.

The staff was excellent and worked with us when we had to extend our stay thanks to the snow. They kept us at the going gov't rate, which was good and avail via website. They also checked in on us daily to make sure everything was fine.

Food - meh. Ate at eastway once for breakfast. Much rather run up to st. John for a bacon sandwich. Received two days worth of food amenities - little desserts and those were cute. Minibar was useful for storing our cheese hoarde.

We did have to downgrade to a deluxe king during snowmaggedon. The room was fine and quiet. Missed having the extra room. Didn't take any pictures per se, but in it's heyday this was truly a majestic railway hotel. Conran blessedly renovated it and hyatt is a great follow on.

uggboy likes this.
  13. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Forgot to mention.. I utilized the car service from the Andaz-LHR, when I stayed in November. While a bit pricey, it works out if you split with others. Great driver, who gave us a tour of the city, on the way to the airport...

[​IMG]

uggboy likes this.
  14. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone know why rates are so low here in Dec (around 100 GBP)? Is it because the hotel is mostly empty during Holiday season, or do they have any ongoing construction or any other (partial) closure I am not aware of? Thanks.

Also, I plan on using a suite upgrade cert here for 2-3 nights. Any particular rooms/suites I should make a request for? Thanks.

uggboy likes this.
  15. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This counters our experiences with this Andaz property during our two separate stays, incl. wrong VAT paid, [ hotels fault ] charged us after a few weeks for this, without telling us! Large King room with nice views, a superb room, but the entrance category room we had on our second stay felt like a cell with a very small atrium facing window. Noon calls from reception to vacate our room, we were ready to do this and needed only a few minutes more, that's not service! To top it all off with this Andaz @ Liverpool street, at check-in during our second stay, someone had stolen our ID and put our name // room number on bills in the bar we had never visited. We had to argue to get this rectified. Meh! Andaz, not our choice!:mad:

16. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed here quite recently - great stay and we got to see the Masonic Temple at last. It's very good value (especially for diamond members) at weekends and in a fun location in the city. Our full review with pictures is (as usual) on driven2travel.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  17. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I just completed a three night stay and I was very impressed. The rate was extremely low. As a diamond I had a breakfast that was one notch below the Hyatt Vendome in terms of quality and sourcing. Each night there's a generous wine and appetizer pairing, and the Wi-Fi is extremely good. One of the advantages of staying here is if you are going to have a short hop in Europe you're literally 100 yards from Liverpool Street station which has trains to Stansted airport. Just another option. The tube took me to heathrow in 65 minutes with a change iat Hoborn and I can't seem to find a reason why I would not stay here again.