And yet another Carnival ship with power issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by viguera, Mar 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh My!

[​IMG]

bez7, autolycus, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    LETTERBOY, autolycus and viguera like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to the Fun ship!

LETTERBOY, JoeCortez and viguera like this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's hard to argue against some kind of systemic maintenance issue at this point. The Splendor and Fascination had power issues in 2010, the Magic had thruster issues in 2011, you had the Triumph thing a few weeks ago and now this. Not to mention what appears to be "human error" related problems with the Costa Concordia and the "minor collision" (if there is such a thing with cruise ships) between the Fantasy and Imagination while docked in Key West a couple of years back.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Wal-Mart of cruise lines strikes again!

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    And yet somehow a friend of mine continues to insist that they're no different than every other cruise line out there.

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    My sister is currently on the Valor making its way to the Caribbean. Something about a good rate or something.

I'm thinking maybe she's on to something though... at least for the guys in the Dream, whcih wasn't as bad as the previous incidents. You get a partial cruise to St. Marteen, return airfare and probably a voucher from the cruise line for a free cruise in the future.

It's like booking the flights that you KNOW are going to be oversold, hoping that you get bumped. Only that in this case you have to poop in a bag and sleep on the hallway for five days. :)

9. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right, but there's the non-trivial risk that not everyone has pooped in the bag and sleeping in the hallway... well... use your imagination....

Sweet Willie likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have limited experience, but my one cruise with them was a level or two below Royal Caribbean. Nothing bad happened, but it just wasn't as nice overall.

LETTERBOY and autolycus like this.
  11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps the most (only??) accurate statement on the subject in this entire thread.:)

LETTERBOY likes this.
  12. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So either Carnival can't afford it or they're scared of future events but here's the compensation from this mess:

"Cruise passengers received a letter from the captain, according to a passenger who e-mailed a photo of the correspondence to CNN.
    Captain Massimo Marino told passengers they will be booked on flights to Orlando or another destination. Passengers with cars at Port Canaveral will be bused from Orlando to the facility about an hour away.
    The letter also offers passengers a three-day refund and a half-price cruise in the future."

13. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was told that the locals in Mobile, Alabama where the Triumph docked were mad because they had made enough hotel bed available to stage everyone in the port city, and Carnival made the choice to bus everyone 12 hours to Houston or Galveston, or New Orleans rather than putting them up on Mobile.

That appears to be true:
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/14/travel/cruise-ship-fire
    Somehow the idea of getting bussed 400+ miles after getting off that boat sounds a lot less desirable then setting up for a night or so in Mobile and getting cleaned up.

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    "There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

bez7, kwai and viguera like this.
  15. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    As someone who likes Mobile, that's a shame. There's some cool stuff to do in that area, too.

autolycus likes this.
  16. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    My favorite variant: "Fool me once, oh god yes just like that"

17. julielou2
    Original Member

julielou2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Carnival is now the most adventurous cruise line in the marketplace...isn't that a good thing?

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    it's quite the carnival.

19. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Such a great philosopher that W. :)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  20. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    And none of the Mobile-area bus charters were used either. All of them came from NOLA or the MS gulf coast (Biloxi, Gulfport, etc.). This is, of course, not long after the city took out huge bonds to build the cruise terminal, almost exclusively for Carnival, and had Carnival cut back capacity as soon as they could do so under their contract with the terminal. Mobile does not like Carnival, at all.

And yes, I believe the city was idiotic in its handling of the cruise terminal. The contracts with Carnival should have been stronger and should have better protected the city from what happened. But that's not to say that the city and residents are wrong to dislike Carnival for cutting back business and then literally dropping their sewage in the area.

iolaire likes this.
  21. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was once on a RCCL ship in Alaska to see glaciers but ship was leaking oil so we moved very slowly to port to get the part fixed/replaced but the delays made us skip the glaciers. it didn't make the news, they gave us $200 pp onboard credit but continued to sell photos/videos of the glaciers missed. I still remember hearing many languages yelling at the staff for the ruined trip.
    Since Carnival IMO is entry level first time cruisers this will definitely have ripple effect attracting new customers.

autolycus and LETTERBOY like this.
  22. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I was told the same, as well as that the terminal was basically built for them.

autolycus likes this.
  23. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    No Carnival cruises for me, kthx.

To be honest, I kind of like being a temporary local instead of being on a ship. Though I am tempted by this cruise...

autolycus and Gargoyle like this.
  24. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    They currently have two ships with mech problems.

This could be another opportunity for Delta. Last month they chartered 11 DL jets to transport their pax, great business and good publicity for DL.

25. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised that the other cruise lines haven't jumped on them though... I thought cruising was a cut-throat business, but so far nobody has come up with an advertising campaign saying "cruise with us, we have working lavs" -- although that's something Spirit would probably do if they were in the cruise business.

Flyer1976, bez7, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.