ANA vs UA in Seattle

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, May 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So with ANA starting service from NRT to SEA with a new 787 what are the chances UA will cancel their flight with their tired 777 and use a codeshare on ANA instead?

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would think it depends on the market and whether or not both flights can be supported...I'm sure the 787 will pull some folks from UA, at least initially. :)

3. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ehh, I doubt they'll cancel it. I suspect they'll get more premium traffic once they get the premium product on that route.

4. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    But even if and when they get the premium product, will the onboard service UA provides match that of ANA? Highly doubtful.

5. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Given the upcoming UA+NH JV and metal-neutrality, it's likely that this flight will pull traffic from DL.

6. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't, but I don't think it's as big of a difference that we make it out to be.

7. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, hadn't heard about this yet. Will that include the use of GPU on NH? If not then I think most UA fliers will stick with UA SEA-NRT.

-RM

8. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doubtful, but UA/NH will revenue share on the route. Of course, that could also result in capacity rationalization...

9. SFOtoORD

SFOtoORD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like UA an NH are both code sharing with each other. Not sure this is much of a sign, but it seems like they're going for double daily for now.

10. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got some email from ANA about two weeks ago regarding their flying into Seattle.

11. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't heard of GPUs being taken by anyone other than LH - and it's only day of flight with paper certificate that takes advance planning to get.

I'm a bit suprised that there will be 2 flights on SEA-NRT but perhaps there's cargo demand, as well as demand by Japanese fliers for a Japanese carrier with Japanese service standards. It wouldn't surprise me if UA has enough corporate contracts in SEA that they have to keep the flight for them (and certainly it's easier to offer upgrades on your own metal).

I wonder how much NH & UA will shift their schedules to make the daily double valuable schedule-wise. Often they end up pretty close together. I also wonder if NH will code share with AS like pretty much every other international carrier does at SEA.

12. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Why would NH codeshare with AS? CO & UA both dropped that codeshare a few years ago and UA hasn't brought it back. No, I'm pretty sure NH wouldn't codeshare with AS since UA doesn't. NH will offload pax in SEA and then connect them to SFO/LAX/DEN/ORD/IAH/IAD/EWR via UA.

-RM

13. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    NH already flies to SFO LAX ORD IAD, so no need to connect SEA, and UA has nonstop service to all the hubs except DEN. The value of SEA as a connecting point is to reach BOI GEG PSC PDX YYJ etc. The only UA or *A connections possible at SEA not already service non-stop are PDX, YVR, DEN, CLT, PHX, PHL. A code share with AS would offer a lot of additional connections. Not saying it will happen as it seems that AS codeshares with everyone but *A (they do codeshare with BA KL AF FL EK CX QF LA

14. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the key thing here is to get more efficient connections into Canada.

15. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    AS serves Victoria (YYJ), Kelowna (YLW), Calgary (YYC), and Edmonton (YEG) from SEA, in addition to Vancouver (YVR). I don't think SEA is set up for a sterile transit, so you would need to clear into USA before being able to board those flights.

16. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Interesting points about the flights in your earlier post as well as Canada. You also left off AA and DL as AS' two largest codeshare partners.

I would think that if NH decides to codeshare with AS that UA would bring back some type of codeshare agreement (e.g. you can only earn miles on flights not serviced by non-stop UA flights ex-SEA). We'll see...

You are correct. SEA is not setup for sterile transit. Everyone coming in internationally that is not pre-cleared (in other words, all destinations outside of most of Canada) must clear immigration in the south satellite terminal. From there passengers can go through security screening and board the tram to other terminals including C/D/N where AS operates from; or B/N where UA operates from.

-RM

17. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Plus, the United States currently does not permit sterile transit/TWOV unless it is a same-plane through flight to a third country (fifth freedom) and the transit pax remain isolated at all times.

18. mbluecpa

mbluecpa Active Member

Status Points:
    Even with an AS codeshare, YVR would be a more likely connection point for passengers bound for other destinations in Canada given the lack of sterile US transit. Some of the Horizon-operated flights also already carry a DL code for NRT connections out of SEA and PDX, so that would cover the smaller Northwest markets like BOI, GEG, etc. Would UA be able/willing to put its code on AS flights given an existing DL arrangement?

Timing of the UA and NH flights in/out of SEA is very close; it will be interesting to see if both survive long term.

19. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's no way this happens, given that it's already a bit dicey for NH to be dumping a bunch of capacity on a route that's been flown by UA for decades. NH starting up a codeshare with a non-*A partner that competes with UA on a lot of West Coast USA traffic would be a real slap in the face to a partner, and AS has pretty deep integration with DL as a partner (and thus isn't really interested in slapping DL in the face by two-timing, either with UA or NH).

If NH wants that route to work, it's going to have to live or die on O/D on the SEA side. And I have to wonder how UA and NH are going to make both of their routes work between them and DL fighting over all the O/D and connecting traffic (plus OZ on SEA-ICN, and other carriers on SEA-China... and DL is going to be getting the lion's share of connecting traffic thanks to AS). I have to think that given UA's drawdown over the decades at SEA that SEA-NRT is something they might drop.

TravelerRob likes this.
  20. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sadly I think that risk is there - unless there is terrific cargo demand or there are some corporate contracts that require the flight.

21. United747&777Expert

United747&777Expert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well UA is getting 787 too, they might use that