ANA Tool shows availability and the Phone Rep says no. Is this the Dreaded *NET Block?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Muerl, Nov 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Forgive me for what may be a noob question, but I am traveling on a UA Award ticket BOS-SFO-NRT-SIN then BKK-HKG(stopover)-YYZ-BOS. I have the flights all booked out, but we looked at our schedule and decided that we wanted another 2 days in BKK before flying to HKG. We are currently booked on TG606 on Dec 17th in Y. I checked Dec 19th on the ANA tool and it shows total availability for the same flight the 19th for 2 adults. However calling up united I got told there was no availability at all on those days. I don't know if this matters, because I am pretty sure I am talking to India now and did so when I booked the tickets, but I am calling Mileage Plus Australia, because I am in Australia right now, but I booked the tickets through the USA.

Is there anything else I can do other than keep calling back?

alohastephen likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another way to verify if it is UA or something more systemic is to try searching on co.com for the segment in question. It will show TG inventory without issues. If that also shows it then it is something UA is doing.

After a break of many months without reports of such issues they seem to be cropping back up recently. A most unfortunate development.

LETTERBOY, Muerl and alohastephen like this.
  3. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Seth, CO shows perfect availability. I have a long time to wait on this, should I just try calling back in 3 weeks and seeing if the blocks are up? I don't really know anything about these issues, how often to they last, etc?

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    One version I've heard is that they are lower at the beginning of the month. This being the beginning, however, suggests that might not actually be the case any more.

Really quite unfortunate that this has apparently come back, especially with CO not doing it.

Flyer and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    It was always a quarterly thing with best availability refreshing a week into Feb/May/Aug/November.

Muerl likes this.
  6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope the new UA does not do this... at all...I enjoy taking *A partners over UACO whenever possible unless it's LH C between US-EU...I'll take the lie flat over food.

jupper likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You had me until this point.

You like the LH C food over UA/CO? :confused: Definitely not the way I'd go on that choice.

8. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks gleff, I will retry next week then.

9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You misunderstood me, I DISLIKE LH C food... It was a miserable dining experience between FRA-DEL-FRA on LH C... I'd take UACO anyday over LH C TATL for the lieflat and the UACO food unless it's that Trotter crap =D

10. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried calling more than once? It is possible you got an agent who mistyped something or for some other reason wasn't well trained to help you.

11. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    They saw the flights on that day and had the right numbers. I will call back next week.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I had several calls with agents the couple times I've identified the issue. It is not an agent-specific issue IME.

13. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has there been any information given out as to whther the new UA will continue Star Net blocking, or will CO's practices of non blocking prevail? Also will VS be a partner in the new Mileage Plus?

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    United seems to believe that they aren't doing it right now anyways and Continental was committed to not doing it so my guess is it won't continue. And CO's computer system is going to be the new one to there's a pretty good chance that the partner integration will be useful going forward.

No word on the VS partnership but I'm betting no based on the Amtrak details from this past week.

Flyer1976, gleff and chitownflyer like this.
  15. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Move your miles over to CO and try to book the same flight. See what happens. To date, I haven't had one single CO award blocked, which, in my opinion increases its value, and my loyalty, travel spend wide to CO.

I hope this continues with United.

Its probably a glitch/laziness on the agent you spoke to. The process is much more manual on UA, on CO, more automated.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The word from UA is that it is technical issues, not official blocking, and that they're working to remediate them. Not that the net effect to the customer trying to make that one award is much different, but from a policy perspective I suppose it is.

17. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't do that cause I am trying to move an already booked flight :( I will call back next week.