Ana Tool and UA

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by sfo1, Oct 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I find flights using the Ana Tool, and then call UA to book, are UA agents generally able to see the flight segments I want without a long drawn out booking proceedure with them and if using OZ as the airline in question, what type of taxe would I pay?

alohastephen and Halothane like this.
  2. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    You shouldn't have any problems when calling UA and booking on OZ and it shouldn't be a long drawn out process. Simply tell the agent you're going from XXX-YYY and that you've found some flights already that you think will work and give them the dates and flight numbers. There won't be a fuel surcharge on the award....Taxes will be dependent on your airports.

alohastephen, sfo1 and Scottrick like this.
  3. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your reply, after all the horror stories I have heard regarding UA booking award flights, just thought I would check, I guess the simplest and most straightforward will work out the best.

4. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    And don't forget......if you're getting nowhere...politely end the call, hang up, and redial!

Quasiconvexity and sfo1 like this.
  5. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes I do know that, have had one bad experience with one UA agent, and she was in the US, so I said thank you, hung up and spoke to another agent in the US who was very helpful.

The Boat likes this.
  6. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    That sounds like something that I would do when dealing with DL and their award itineraries. But I can say that I have never (*knocks on wood*) had a very bad experience with UA award reservations.

sfo1 likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have recently had some issues with UA not seeing partner award inventory that was visible in multiple other GDSes, including online at co.com. I'm not particularly impressed.

sfo1, yaychemistry and LIH Prem like this.
  8. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

I had the same issue personally with award availability via ana tool and continental.com and when I tried to call UA to book a one way TG flight BKK-HKG in F, UA could not see any availability on the flight. Also seems to occur with Hawaiian interisland flights as well.

So I guess the obvious advice is to link you M+ and OP accounts for maximum award availability flexibility.

Though it boggles my mind as to why UA/MP can't seem to fix this.

-David

Muerl, sfo1 and yaychemistry like this.
  9. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do the ANA tool and CO.com see the same award inventory, or is there *A inventory that the ANA tool can see that co.com can't? I prefer using co.com, as you can see CM and VS inventory as well, but I wouldn't want to miss a good routing if there's *A I can't see!

10. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seth knows this better than me probably, but until recently, co.com didn't even see turkish TK availability, but it does now. (though I'm not convinced it shows everything that's available) I think there are still some *A members that might not show availability online on co.com.

there are some *A members that ANA doesn't see either. Also, co.com currently includes partner award availability that you can't book elsewhere, I've seen Virgin, for example, on co.com. Not sure what other partners co.com includes and what it excludes. And Hawaiian is a partner award, not a *A member also, so you won't find that on ANA tool either as far as I know.

I think the air canada mileage plan tool sees most *A availability. (though they won't show non-*A CO/UA partner awards.)

I don't know if you can just rely on any one of them yet.

-David

yaychemistry likes this.
  11. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see TK show up on co.com a lot, but all of the booking option buttons are gone. Usually you'll see a button for SaverPass/EasyPass in Y, C, and/or F depending on availability, but the TK flights show up without any of those buttons. I assumed it was a glitch and there was no availability. Perhaps I was wrong - maybe that just means you have to book the TK legs over the phone... Next time I see it, I will try to compare with the ANA tool.

sfo1 likes this.
  12. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Getting those 100 free miles with ANA on that recent promo was nice...now it is so much easier to search for availability without having to do the shenanigans.

DCA Rob, sfo1 and yaychemistry like this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO is missing a few still, though I don't remember exactly which. LX isn't there, I'm pretty sure. CA and SQ also, I believe.

And it certainly isn't perfect, but it does do a better job of building connecting itineraries than ANA does. It also shows VS and HA which are CO partners but which are not *A carriers but can be incredibly useful mixing into a CO-issued award.

ETA: And I'm seeing interesting results with TK; some show and some don't. Very strange indeed.

jupper and yaychemistry like this.
  14. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, No LX results show up on CO. On a recent search, it was consistently showing only VS results even though a direct flight on TK was available, so it does have some quirks wrt TK. OS shows up consistently as well. Having LH on the calendar view is great. Only downside is that I find that the color coding on the calendar is broken at times - i.e. dates that may be shaded yellow (only saverpass economy) or white (no saverpass seats) will show F available on LH (maybe this is because the engine is designed for Y and BF and not Y,J,F - I am not sure). But I have found that that it provides a great starting point.

SC Flier and yaychemistry like this.
  15. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having the same issue on that as well for that same leg ANA and CO show availability in all 3 classes and the UA agent says now. Except I am trying to move a leg instead of book a new flight so the m+->OP won't work for me.

Guesses on the UA board is that its the dreaded *Net Block and that I should try Next week after the end of quarter closes.

16. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks for the specific on BKK-HKG. Just checked 11/16, no problems with UA matching what TG shows available. 11/17 though every flight has award space in every class of service but UA does not see a single award seat all day in any class of service (5 flights). Trying to get to the bottom of this, but I've verified the 11/17 issue with 3 different agents, so not an agent issue, and it's 11/17 but not surounding days so unlikely an IT connectivity issue. Developing..

Muerl likes this.
  17. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    confirming you are saying 11/17. this thickens the plot as i am trying 12/19 and already have an award flight booked 12/17.

18. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yes I was talking November when I played with it. I've since verified that both 12/17 and 12/19 seem blocked as well, the flights all have avaialbility in all classes of services (except the 12/17 8am which is available in first and coach but not business) and yet United agents do not see that availability.

There is certainly something which seems to be going on here. What I do not know is whether it's "starnet blocking" or an IT issue of some kind (AVS Synch between UA and Starnet?). And if it's blocking, whether it has reappeared inadvertently or intentionally. And if intentionally, whether that says anything about the future of the program. I'm asking these questions but do not yet have answers.

19. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Have spoken with UA on this and I'm told they are not intentionally blocking the space, there's a glitch that they're working to resolve. I didn't get specifics on the kind of glitch so I speculate that there could be some unintentional blocking going on ;) but the important thing here is that it is unintentional and they want to resolve it. So the space may well open up.

20. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank gleff, trying to tie on an addition 2 days in Thailand to go to Koh Samui, I think.

21. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Headed to USM myself this week! :)

22. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Heading to the Conrad in USM didn't fit our travel schedule for the point stretchers :( Heading to the Hilton Hanoi Opera House this weekend, with the points planned for USM originally.

Enjoy it, Hopefully we can make it down there.

23. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I didn't use point stretchers. Instead I used 40k/night for the 2-bedroom 2000 sq ft villa over on the Residences side :D It's truly spectacular.

catgirl likes this.