ANA switch to piece system on all international flights from April 1 2011

Discussion in 'ANA | Mileage Club' started by JALPak, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. fumitani
    Original Member

fumitani Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if this is a good or bad thing, but oh well more stuff to haul

3. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    It could be bad. E.g. you used to travel in Y with one big luggage and it weighs say 28kg. Now you have to split that into two. That's why I always like the weigh system more, esp with the extra allowance you get as elite :p Now you have to worry about how each of your luggage weigh :(

4. fumitani
    Original Member

fumitani Gold Member

Status Points:
    doesn't matter if you travel in C though....I do hate this new policy as my suitcase is usually 28-30kg!

5. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    It also does. Now there's a new linear dimension restriction. So probably no kitchen sink for you :p

I switched to a smaller suitcase + duffle bag a while back when they lower the Y limit to 23kg on transpacific flight.

So I guess PY will get the same 23kg too.

6. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't particularly care. I don't need to take my house with me when I go on holiday [​IMG]

7. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    But more checked baggage could mean it will take longer for yours to arrive during your SFC quest when you are no body :p And then you might miss your US domestic connection and forced to stay in the middle of nowhere for the night. You sure you want to do this and not be happy with just JGC :p

8. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    I travel light. Like, real light. Like, toothbrush in my pocket light...

(Jack Reacher light, if anyone else has read those books)

9. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's probably just a bunch of new rules they make but don't enforce especially to elites flying in Y but I guess they have not updated info on that yet so we shall have to wait and see.

10. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Feel free to go test that out :p

11. derpelikan

derpelikan Active Member

Status Points:
  12. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
  13. derpelikan

derpelikan Active Member

Status Points:
    btw. i received an e-mail by ana today informing me about the changes.

its insane, in firstclass you can know take 116 KG per pax if you are a Staralliance gold.

its a smartmove in my eyes. usual jp travellers on ANA need a lot allowance, especially pax who live in frankfurt, rome, munich etc. (its really expensive and hard to get your japanese daily stuff in foreign countries)

so if i fly to japan, i usually fly out with 120KG luggage.
    only thing is, i dont have to pay the excess fee anymore, which is sweet... and will move me from LH to ana for the flights. (ana has the better product anyway)

dp

14. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only if your individual pieces are within the weigh and dimension limits

15. derpelikan

derpelikan Active Member

Status Points:
    for my japanese friends, it will be a relief as they can now take almost 200KG of luggage on an economy trip if the whole family flies + hand luggage.

this really serves the people who are flying for satogaeri to japan.

good move ANA. really thumbs up. people who only travel for vacation might not understand this, but who ever lived between two worlds will know that this is a game changer...

dp

16. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    But it's not the case for some of the elites. As in fumitani's case, now he has to split his checked luggage into 2 or pay if he's flying in Y

17. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    *G allowance which is an extra piece on top! Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work for others (as derpelikan points out) Now JL will have to match, which mean less revenue for them on baggage!

why fly likes this.
  18. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed JAL is considering, QSG (your name sounds awfully familiar ;)).

Well in every change there will winners and losers. IMHO this change kind of devalue the extra allowance benefits of the elites. Before everyone has 20kg in Y under weigh system and elites have more. Under the new system everyone will have at least 23 * 2 kg which is probably enough for most people. Most likely you won't need to use the *G extra allowance benefit on NH. Unless they let elites have 32kg per bag, then that will be more useful. We will have to wait for them to update the page to see :)

19. armagebedar
    Original Member

armagebedar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Who the heck takes 200 kg (or even 120 kg for one person) worth of luggage routinely?! I can see it if you're moving to a new country or something, but even buying a few appliances plus the usual suitcases of clothing and such shouldn't be more than 70-80 kg...

Still, for those people it's a good deal. I for one am happy with my carry-on and my occasional 10 kg checked bag.

JALPak likes this.
  20. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your "logic" above defies any semblance of logic ! So not only does everyone get at least 3 kilos more per bag...elites still get their extra baggage and more kilos to boot (so what devaluation is that [​IMG])! Seems very customer focused to me........

why fly likes this.
  21. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Devalue in terms of how useful the extra allowance is. If most elites won't/can't use it, it's not as valuable as before. :)

22. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    How do you know that most elites won't /can't use it (and why would having extra bags and weight not be a great thing). This is great addition to my benefits and to those that aren't elite a plus for them too....continue to spin though ![​IMG]

23. fumitani
    Original Member

fumitani Gold Member

Status Points:
    100kg allowance is not hard to use....Why not move your whole kitchen sink. Now if my family of 5 travels from NRT-LAX we now have a minimum 23kg x 15pieces allowance!!!!! That's 345kg of luggage we can have as a family of 5 with *G!!!!

armagebedar and JALPak like this.
  24. armagebedar
    Original Member

armagebedar Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess I'm too set in my ways as a one-bag or small-bag traveller to understand the concept of taking more than body weight with me in belongings. If I was doing a month-long RTW trip, perhaps, but otherwise it seems a bit opulent. (I'd rather have ANA saving that money on fuel and putting it towards better ground facilities and elite benefits in economy, like drinks and food.)

JALPak likes this.
  25. derpelikan

derpelikan Active Member

Status Points:
    as i said you dont live in a foreign country do you?

especially rice (i know people who take a lot rice in their luggage) take books, move soysouce (yes you dont get the real soysauce at decent prices in europe, or you get different soysauce)

trust me, this is the perfekt things for japanese people, who take all possible staff from japan to the countries they work in. (even wheat.. as the wheat is different)

as ANA is always too expensive on the tickets side, i think this is a very fair move.
    i wonder if there is a starwide adjustment coming? all airlines switching to piece concepts?

dp

kwai and QSG like this.