An unusually positive experience with Membership Rewards in November

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by fewtreezy, Nov 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. fewtreezy

fewtreezy Active Member

Status Points:
    Just thought you guys would be interested to hear this story.

I applied for the spg card in August as the promo was nearing the end. I called right when I got the card to confirm that I was enrolled in the 30k star points promo. I wasn't, I was in the original promo. I had clicked the link through the site and am not sure what happened. I thought, no problem, they'll match it since it is a public offering (unlike the gold card issues). I called for the first time of probably 20 phone calls to amex 2 days after made my initial call. The rep said it may take a couple of days for the promo to post but it never did. They had to put in requests to marketing but each rep I spoke with did it incorrectly until the third time. Each time, my 8 week review reset. I would call every week complaining about how long it took once I had met my first 8 weeks (the middle of October). Each time I called, they apologized and credited me either 3k or 5k courtesy points. It took me 4 calls to finally have someone say they would manually override it. I then received a request to fill out a survey regarding my experience. I gave amex pretty bad reviews simply because it took them 3 months to do something they could have initially done in August. I spent approximately 7.5 hours on the phone with amex throughout this process. Two days ago, I received a phone call from Rosa at the executive office. She wanted to hear this story for herself. I told her about my bad experience with spg and my wife's bad experience with membership rewards (she's in the midst of the 75k battle). Rosa apologized and said she was crediting me 10k courtesy points from the executive office to my spg account. I thanked her and she suggested my wife call her and they may be able to work something out. All told, I received 60k star points (not including my spending requirement). At the end, I'm very happy with how amex handled this despite the fact that it was a headache for 3 months and hours of my life I'll never get back :) The point is, I think American Express is going to make all this right, it just may take a while. Has anyone else had a positive experience?

I'll post the response I get from Rosa regarding my wife's american express. My first post, please go gentle on me!

Lufthansa Flyer and deant like this.
  2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. Great first post. Glad you were able to get it worked out with AMEX.

3. jumpdogjump
    Original Member

jumpdogjump Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a gentle reminder ;) Starpoints have nothing to do with Membership rewards (a different program w/other Amex charge cards). Otherwise, ditto to deant!

4. fewtreezy

fewtreezy Active Member

Status Points:
    I know, the overall post however relates to Membership Rewards because my wife has been on the phone with them today. It seems to be going positively and they are looking into her account. Her original promos was the 75k and then she also had them add the 15 transactions for 10k points per month layered on the 75k promo (confirmed layering on the phone call). They have been honoring her 15 transactions promo but would not honor the 75k promo. I suppose my post should be a hopefully positive experience with Membership Rewards and a positive experience with star points. My main point was that amex seems to be changing their approach - they took a sledge hammer initially and now realize the repercussions of doing so. Hopefully they are repairing a lot of their relationships they potentially ruined.

5. PointHoarder
    Original Member

PointHoarder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing and welcome to Milepoint!
    However, I'm not fully convinced it's such a positive experience.
    Sure they made good in the end and you ended up with more points than you should have because of the multiple 'courtesy points' they kept giving you.
    But that it took 3 months AND about 7.5 hours of your time to get fixed makes the executive 10K compensation, IMO, a pretty small and underwhelming one.
    Had this happened to me, I'm not sure I would be feeling so gracious right now.

6. fewtreezy

fewtreezy Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the welcome!

I look at it as I got an additional 30k star points and I think I can easily use them for $.05/point. That values those points at $1,500 divided by my 7.5 hours is $200/hour. My particular opportunity cost was not very much because I would call them on my way home from work - I was only really missing the latest and greatest pop music. Just out of curiosity, how do you value star points? Did I forget something in my valuation? I want to make sure I don't have any screws loose! :)

stan likes this.