An unexpected upgrade, a bump and a pastrami sandwich

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tom911, Jun 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flew home from U.S. Swimming Championships in Indianapolis today. I used a standard 25K one-way coach award here to avoid a $491 one-way fare IND-SFO or $750RT SFO-IND. Fares were just insane when I booked three weeks out and had to work with what was out there.

Started this trip with a paid one-way SFO-LAX-ORD at $252. There were originally three of us on that booking but the SFO AC split it up so two of us could upgrade (still had 22 500 milers from back in the days that EXPs accumulated them).

On the return home was paged to the gate at IND and upgraded to F for the first segment IND-DFW today. Hadn't expected that on an award ticket. The friends I was traveling with (non-status) had no such luck.

Arrived at DFW for the 1155 DFW-SFO which was showing F0Y0 and volunteered when the gate agent made the page. $300 voucher and confirmed seat on the 1545 departure. Only needed two volunteers in the end so a third volunteer was told to board. When the paperwork was processed there was a seat available on the 1305 flight in the back of the plane in the middle, but that worked for me to avoid excessive DFW time. Arrived at SFO at 1430. Used the in-flight wi-fi to start working on options to get to Europe or Barcelona for World Swimming Championships now that the swimmer I support is on the team (photos from swimming linked below). Going to be one expensive trip with fares starting around $1,800 end of July unless I do a standard coach award so a voucher could help bring down the paid ticket price if I go that route.

Got my comped $10 pastrami sandwich (surprised there were any left by row 25) on the ride home.

Should note I did three Megabus trips during this trip between Chicago and Indianapolis and they worked out fine. Fares were either $17 or $35 depending on journey. We were on the road an average of 3hrs 15 mins for each trip.

zpaul, iolaire, sobore and 3 others like this.
  2. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have done that route on Megabus, too, both ways, and was quite pleased. City Center to city center in air con with WiFi beats a trip out to the airport on either end.

3. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    My last couple of MegaBus trips (Toronto-BUF of course) were the $1.50 variety. Always nice to get an opup on an award ticket.

4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good news, didn't know AA does ug on award, but was hoping it was at least a possibility.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Various reasons someone on an award would be upgraded. Likely AA was rolling the cabin.

zpaul likes this.
  6. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice showing by Ms Coughlin at the US Champs! :D

7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    She's the oldest swimmer on the U.S. Team going to World Championships in Bacelona at age 30. She's training in sprints now with the men at Cal (Nathan Adrian, Anthony Ervin). Nathan won the men's 50 free and Anthony came in second, but in this particular event only the top swimmer goes to Worlds, so we will have only Cal swimmers in both the men's and women's events.. I have the swimming photos from IND in the Indianapolis gallery linked below.

She placed 5th in 100 free, and though that keeps her out of the individual event, it's good enough for a relay team slot in 4X100 free. She has something like 50 medals from World Championships since 1999, much more than the dozen Olympic medals she has.

One photo from this past week:

[​IMG]

estnet likes this.