An Odd Site: The Easter Island NASA Facility

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MLW20, Dec 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    While planning our trip to Easter Island I picked up a copy of "A Companion To Easter Island" by James Grant Peterkin. I had been in touch with James and ordered the book from him directly. (James would also end up being our guide for two of our days on EI)
    The companion guide had information about sites all over Easter Island. The information was written in an easy to digest manner making for a quick read. I also enjoyed the photos inside.
    [​IMG]
    While reading the book, I came across an odd site that I was interested in visiting. It was very different from the other sites around Easter Island. It was an old NASA Facility that was opened in 1983. The photo in the companion guide reminded me of something that belonged in the TV series Lost!
    [​IMG]
    I found Easter Island an odd place for the United States to put a NASA site.
    According to the guide book the site was built by NASA "to monitor seismic activity in the Pacific Ocean, measuring the movement of the tectonic plates that make up the Earth's crust. Easter Island sits on the edge of the Nazca plate and creeps approximately 15 centimeters closer to the South American mainland each year."
    [​IMG]
    Check out some more photos and the rest of my post on my blog HERE

thesterlingtraveler and uggboy like this.
  2. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for sharing! Definitely looks interesting.

MLW20 likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why does NASA care about seismic activity? Isn't that USGS territory?

4. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was really bizarre!
    You'd have to ask NASA! The US also extended the runway on Easter Island if needed for emergency space shuttle landings. Maybe this NASA site was really more related to that possibility...

thesterlingtraveler likes this.
  5. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.nasa.gov/topics/moonmars/features/lunar_core.html

Just one example. Satellites are used for studying Earth from atmosphere to the core and everything in the middle. Got to be able to combine and correlate with the information collected on the ground. NASA also focuses on things like agriculture. It's not just about staring at Alpha Centauri :)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.