An Introduction to AutoSlash.com

Discussion in 'AutoSlash' started by AutoSlash, Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. AutoSlash

AutoSlash Z Representative

Status Points:
    Thanks for visiting AutoSlash's forum on ConcourseZ! AutoSlash is a unique new free service that helps people save money on car rentals. We do this in two ways:

1. After you book your rental with AutoSlash, we automatically apply coupons and discounts to your rental to lower your rate. No more spending your hard earned time searching for the best discount codes. We do the work for you, and when we find a better deal, we'll automatically re-book you at the lower rate. No cost, no hassle, just savings.

2. We track your rental rate each day. Rental rates can and do change often (sometimes multiple times a day). AutoSlash will pick up on these drops, and we'll automatically re-book you at the lower rate, all without you having to lift a finger. The earlier you book, the more likely you are to save. It's not uncommon to have your rate slashed multiple times by AutoSlash. No cost, no hassle, just savings.

It's important to remember that the initial price you book at on AutoSlash is the highest price that you'll pay. The rates you initially see on our site are essentially just a starting point. In many cases, within a few hours of booking, you'll receive an email notifying you of a price drop on your rental.

As your rental date approaches, it's common to receive further price drop emails from us. Most of our customers end up paying less -- sometimes far less -- than their originally booked rate.

Check us out at AutoSlash.com to learn more.

AutoSlash.com
    We automatically slash your rental rates!

2. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    A warm welcome to AutoSlash which I can heartily endorse from having used it on a number of occasions.

3. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Question - How good are you with International locations? Headed to AUA later this year (July).

alohastephen, MrsBobSgt and jbcarioca like this.
  4. AutoSlash

Status Points:
    We're pretty good internationally. There are more savings opportunities domestically, but we find savings for our customers in the vast majority of cases regardless. I just got a Hertz rental for my parents in AUA for quite a good deal, so odds are in your favor. Certainly nothing to lose by trying. :)

5. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've tried to use autoslash many times, but sometimes when I am looking in cities like SFO and IAD or LAX, sometimes only ONE company shows up, which makes no sense. Of course that doesn't work well and I end up finding deals much lower through traditional methods. Any reason why that sort of thing would be happening?

6. AutoSlash

Status Points:
    While we don't support all rental companies (some have chosen not to work with us), we have excellent coverage in all of the cities you mentioned, so I'm really surprised to hear this.

Feel free to email us next time it happens at support<at>autoslash.com, and we'll be happy to take a look and see what's going on.

Also keep in mind that we have a tab on our homepage to track a rental you've booked elsewhere. We'll often find price drops (or a better deal with another company) when you track a rental with us.

AutoSlash.com
    We automatically slash your rental rates!

7. beckoa
    Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had excellent luck with a recent rental in AUS late January... the prices kept dropping- booked it a few days out and seemed each day it was one discount after another :cool: and avoided the underage fee to boot [thumbs up emoticon insert]

Nice of them to keep track of rental rates, and keep applying coupons.

8. travelfree
    Original Member

travelfree Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I have Elite Status at various car rental companies, is that considered during your search process or do you use a more standardized search using coupons and promotions and then add on any Elite status benefits at time of booking?

Actually I am interested in trying try out your service for a few of my upcoming trips. I'll report back with my experiences.

9. mrpickles
    Original Member

mrpickles Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just booked for the first time, looking forward to testing for a CPH booking.

10. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is an option on the front page to expand further search options, where you can input your membership number. This should trigger the full range of benefits you're entitled to with your elite status. How it gets shown is limited by the functionality allowed by the GDS systems the rental agencies partner with and that AutoSlash accesses the agenies' data through, but anything a travel agent can do should be doable through AutoSlash, too.

For example, when I book using my National Emerald Club number, where I hold Executive status, there is a resulting column in the results grid labeled "discounted." Under this column, the rates displayed are discounted with my default corporate discount code (even if I don't enter that code in the search form). Additionally, per National Executive practice, I am shown the rate for one class smaller than the one I am booking (i.e. the compact rate is displayed under the midsize class).

Due to the way the GDS systems work, sometimes you need to click through to the final page (the last one before actually booking) to see the final, fully-discounted price, especially if you've applied any coupons. And in some rare circumstances, the GDS can't properly interpret what the rental reservation engine intends, but in all cases I've pulled up the reservation on the agency's own website and it displays correctly. (That's a side-effect of the limitations of the 1960s-era GDSes that they require travel agents to use.)

Each agency has its own slight quirks in how they handle elite status benefits like upgrades. If you'd like to post back some more details about the programs you use, we can look at and explain things a bit further. :)

11. I ended up getting an amazing price with Hertz at LAX, unfortunately AutoSlash applied a US military discount without my knowledge so I was forced to pay the walk-up rate at the counter when I was unable to produce military ID. To their credit, Jonathan in customer support owned up to the problem and promised to refund the difference - if they do end up following through they've earned themselves a customer for life.

12. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldnt be too happy when I walked up to the counter. Nice to see they are trying to refund you the diff.

alohastephen and jbcarioca like this.
  13. AutoSlash

Status Points:
    Mea culpa here. We applied the wrong discount code inadvertently. We have refunded the difference to mattm.

If we offer our customers a specific rate, we will stand behind that rate 100%--even if we have to make up the difference.

14. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just went to your site but did not see an option to pick up and drop off in different locations. Is that an option you offer?

15. AutoSlash

Status Points:
    There is a checkbox labeled "Return at a different location?" on the homepage. Just click that, and you'll see a second entry box appear to select a different Drop-off location.

alohastephen, jbcarioca and sunseeker like this.
  16. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, found it. But $150 drop off charge?! In Florida!?!

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. AutoSlash

Status Points:
    Remember that the prices we show on our site are basically the same as you'd see elsewhere. *After* you book is when we go to work to lower the rate. The price you book at is just a starting point if you will. Put another way, the initially booked rate is the highest price that you'll pay.

If you PM me your rental details, I can see what we can do for you. You can also just book, and see what comes back. We don't charge anything to book, so really no downside.

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. abcx
    Original Member

abcx Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would like an under-25 option like Priceline. Otherwise, I have to figure out the under-25 surcharge policies myself thus making the tool useless for me. I realize that this might be a pain to code, so if you can't, no worries.

Thanks

19. AutoSlash

Status Points:
    Unfortunately the booking engine we currently use doesn't support pricing in this manner, so for now, it's not something that we can handle.

We are working on a blog post though that talks about avoiding the under 25 surcharge, as there are a number of fairly painless ways to do this. For now, feel free to email us at support<at>autoslash.com, and we'd be happy to help you with getting the best deal on an under 25 rental for your specific needs.

alohastephen, jbcarioca and jackal like this.
  20. AutoSlash

Status Points:
    Btw, where is this option on Priceline? I just took a look and didn't see it anywhere. This is what I saw when I clicked on the "Under 25?" callout:

Minimum Age Requirements

Priceline.com offers car rentals to drivers between the ages of 21 and 24 years old in select locations. Rentals for drivers between the ages of 18 and 20 are available in New York only. Enter the details of your trip and we'll tell you if we can fulfill your request.
    Rental companies charge renters under the age of 25 Young Renter Fees. These fees typically start at $20 per day and can be as much as $50 per day for high cost locations or more desirable car types. For example, a rental car that normally costs $30 per day could cost an underage driver at least $50 per day.
    With priceline.com, you should include these additional fees in your offer price. If your request is accepted, you will not be charged any additional Young Renter Fees at the rental counter.
    Please note: All drivers will be required to present a valid driver's license in order to pick up a vehicle and each driver's age will be verified at the rental counter. If the driver's age was misrepresented during the offer process, the driver will be subject to underage fees at the rental counter.
    If we are not able to fulfill your request and you still need a rental, click here to see other options from our partners who rent to drivers under the age of 25. To prevent surprises, be sure to inquire about the Young Renter Fees that will be charged to you at the rental counter.

21. abcx
    Original Member

abcx Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you go to NYOP on PL, it lets you put in your age, and the acceptance/rejection of your bid already factors in the underage surcharge. Or at least it used to.

22. AutoSlash

Status Points:
    Nope, option seems to be gone now. I checked in multiple places.

23. abcx
    Original Member

abcx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope, still there. Go past the first dialog box and then on the second page it will ask you for driver details and there's an image saying under 25, click here, which says:

24. AutoSlash

Status Points:
    Yes I mentioned that above, but what I'm saying is that they just put up a message box. There's no actual place to enter in your age that I can see, and it doesn't price the rental any differently based on your age. It's more just a notification.

25. abcx
    Original Member

abcx Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if this link will work for you - http://travela.priceline.com/rental...&plf=PCLN&irefid=HPBIDFORM&irefclickid=RENTAL

but there's a box for driver's age. You have to enter dummy dates and pickup and dropoff points and then go to the next page. It is NOT on the first NYOP page/dialog box.