An Award Ticket to the Caymans on short notice?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by KimL, Jul 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. KimL

KimL Active Member

Status Points:
    My husband, son and I would like to dive in the Caymans later this month. I'm new at all of this award booking and hopeful someone can point me in the right direction. Dates aren't that flexible - July 21 - 25,
    or 20 - 24 but that's about it. *A is where all of my points are. I've found some flights, going has low point options, coming home is the problem. I'm looking on the Continental site - should I actually call Continental for better availability? Call United or US Airways - will I hear something different from what I see ? I feel like it's a waste to use 47,500 miles for a coach roundtrip but if we really want an award ticket that may be the only options. Comments?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You say that all of your miles are *A, but does this mean that they're all CO miles? You must use the award chart prices and availability of the airline whose miles you're using, so that if you have CO miles, calling US is pointless.

Have you checked whether miles can be transferred costlessly between UA and CO at this stage in the merger?

3. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
  4. KimL

KimL Active Member

Status Points:
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    During the NW/DL merger, there was a phase where miles could be transferred but then it was permanent--they could not be transferred back--so be careful to check availability before doing any transfers.

6. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Nope. Was just following up with an answer to the question from MSPeconomist. :)