Amusing hotel selection

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by viguera, Oct 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The wife has a 3 night stay in downtown Manhattan that work is paying for... the selection of hotels from their booking system is kind of ridiculous...

* Holiday Inn / HIX in the Wall Street area
    * Doubletree Financial Center
    * A bunch of unknowns (Oakwood / Club Quarters / Gild Hall)
    * Andaz Wall Street
    * Ritz Carlton Battery Park

I mean seriously... if you're going to offer me those last two, why even offer me the rest?

Unless you're seriously hurting for a stay, all things being the same (room type, distance, etc) who would choose the rather lackluster HI/HIX properties over the RC or Andaz?

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't call Oakwood unknown!

rwoman likes this.
  3. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Screw the Andaz! I want my free waffles at HI/HIX! :D

rwoman likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps it's a way to evaluate how cost-conscious the employees are. Pick the cheaper hotel and get a bigger raise/bonus.

Not sure what the price differential is, but on my rare business trips I tend to book based on location and price. If there are multiple options that are reasonably comparable, I'd choose based on what benefits me loyalty-program-wise.

It's not unusual that our travel booking system offers properties in various price ranges. I don't think HIX (or PC properties in general) are part of our contracted selection, but something like Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden Inn vs. Westin. Sometimes I see higher-quality properties at lower rates than the Hampton Inns that are also offered.

rwoman and 8MiHi like this.
  5. ConsultingChris

ConsultingChris Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I was in Corporate America, our booking system showed all contracted and non-contracted rates similar to an online booking site. It then used certain guidelines to show which hotels (usually 2-3 out of all hotels listed) were suggested for booking. You could book any hotel you wanted to, but if you didn't select one that was suggested, you got a warning that you would need to get authorization for staying there.

If your wife doesn't travel much, I would check the corporate guidelines to see what the policy is on which hotel she has to book.

rwoman and 8MiHi like this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    She works for a pharmaceutical and apparently they have money to burn. Just as with the previous travel, it seems to have been more based on what's convenient than reasonable. Previously the system just barked at an open jaw ticket to SAN, but otherwise it was her choice.

With this one she ended up with rack rate at the Andaz, only because the closer hotels were booked.

rwoman likes this.
  7. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Club Quarters is a hotel chain aimed at businesses for a members only agreement. they are in all major cities -basic but functional. The friends/family weekend rates are a great deal.

rwoman and USAF_Pride like this.
  8. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they want to give options for people in different frequent stayer programs? :)

rwoman likes this.
  9. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can echo the comments on Club Quarters. I've stayed at their locations in Chicago, NY, and DC and not found any of them to be bad. The rooms can be a little on the small side, but most rooms are small in these cities.

The DC location is right across the street from a metro stop and only a few blocks up from the backside of the White House which makes it convenient to get to from Regan.

rwoman and viguera like this.
  10. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oakwood has serviced apartments around the world, though besides seeing them in Jakarta, the only other ones I've walked by are near Koreatown in Manhattan.

rwoman likes this.