Amtrak to expand onboard Wi-fi

Discussion in 'Amtrak | Guest Rewards' started by cheepneezy, Feb 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cheepneezy
    Original Member

cheepneezy Gold Member

Status Points:
    chrislacey likes this.
  2. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be nice if the Northeast Regionals got it. However, I'm sure that's at the bottom of their list since not having it on those trains gives more incentive to booking the Acela instead.

3. Phudnik
    Original Member

Phudnik Gold Member

Status Points:
    The press release states that they are rolling it out on the NE Regionals as part of this program. I'm a little surprised, for the reason you mention. The Acela isn't *that* much faster than the NE Regional (though it is more comfortable).

4. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. If they add it to the NE Regionals, there really wouldn't be a ton to make me book the Acela to New York versus the regional...

I really wish they would add WiFi to the California Capital Corridor trains. That would be helpful.

5. gba
    Original Member

gba Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hoped to have wifi on a coast starlight trip a few weeks ago but unfortunately we got an all day diner from the texas eagle instead of a pacific parlour car so I had to rely on intermitant cell service for internet on my way up the coast. Oh well, the scenery on the Starlight more than made up for it.

6. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually just flip my phone's Wi-Fi tethering option on and use it for Internet access on my laptop while on the Northeast Corridor. It's just as fast, if not faster, than the Acela Wi-Fi, since it's connecting over the same technology, but the connection isn't shared with anyone else. Other than a few slow spots it's generally a pretty reliable way to get Internet while on those trains.

7. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    In general, is that the way it is for transcontinental travel on Amtrak, with 3G or 4G only in the cities?
    Is there a problem with the windows blocking the signals, as I have experienced in Austria?
    Are there power outlets in the dining and sleeper cars?

8. gba
    Original Member

gba Silver Member

Status Points:
    The cars may block the signal a little but I think the larger problem (for me) was just the general lack of good coverage in rural areas (I use Sprint).

There are definitely power outlets in the sleeper rooms. I believe cafe cars have them as well but my memory may be off.