Amtrak Debuts Business Class on LAX-SEA Coast Starlight

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by timfrost, Jul 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amtrak started a new pilot program on June 23rd offering a third class of service on the popular Coast Starlight route between Los Angeles, the SF Bay Area, Portland, Seattle, and intermediate points.

http://gojetting.com/2015/06/amtrak-cs-business/

So far the service has proved to be extremely popular with the 12 available seats almost selling out on most days. For now the seats are the standard Amtrak coach seat, but the overhead luggage racks have been removed in this area to give an airy feel to the business class space. Luggage storage is directly in front of the business class seats for ready access. If this continues to be successful there are plans to expand the number of available seats and change to 2-1 leather seating.

snap, Newscience, mikeschu and 2 others like this.
  2. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having travelled the route a couple of times (my favorite in the Amtrak system so far), this would be great for those long daylight trips where it's not cost-effective to go First Class. Would like to see it expand with the seats beforehand, but this is a good start.

timfrost and Newscience like this.
  3. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although I am not in a position of authority and able to say for sure, I am under the impression that the deal Amtrak made with the LA managers was "you prove it works, we'll buy the seats." From what I understand, when the cars went through Beech Grove, IN for the rebuild, the seats weren't in stock and would need to be purchased, and Amtrak wasn't willing to make that investment on a "maybe." Seems mostly fair.

snap likes this.