Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Europe' started by MMK2013, Jul 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MMK2013

MMK2013 Member

Status Points:
    I managed to snag 1 wk of vacation time in August at the last minute so i'm researching award trips to Europe since cash fares are too expensive. So far only place I see availability is Amsterdam (which is great because i've always wanted to visit) on UA leaving 8/5 and returning 8/9 in business. This only gives me really only 3 days on the ground for sightseeing. Unfortunately I can't request more vacation this summer so I don't have other dates to play around with. Would his trip be a waste of miles for that short amount of time? Is 3 days really enough?

uggboy and TravelBear like this.
  2. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tough call. My opinion is that 3 days seems awful short to use that many (although you don't say exactly how many) miles. I would be more inclined to go somewhere stateside (where are you geographically speaking?) and have more time to relax since it seems getting time off is not easy for you.

uggboy likes this.
  3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree - it's a REALLY short time for so many miles (even if you are finding saver) - do u have lots of miles so you'd still have miles to use for a longer trip next year? You also didn't say where you originate - jet lag is a lot worse if you're starting on the left coast.

uggboy likes this.
  4. MMK2013

MMK2013 Member

Status Points:
    I'm in the NYC area. There is business saver available 50k each way and my mileage balance is only 150,000 at the moment on UA. I have AA and Delta miles but dl has no availability and AA wants to route all award travel to Europe on BA which for the same trip comes with a ridiculous $1000+ in taxes and fees. I have my fingers crossed hoping that more availability will open up so the trip will be worthwhile. If not I'll look for alternative plans.

uggboy likes this.
  5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is AMS your only desired destination? And what are the days you actually have - with just a few minutes search I found jfk-bcn on 8/4 in saver coach for 30k on AB using AA miles, but the return on random date (8/14) was only saver business using BA with cost of 80k miles and $600.
    If you're willing to go many places in Europe I bet you can find something without the huge BA addon (esp if you're willing to do coach). If u give us more details about what u want maybe we can help more - alternatively call AA and ask if they can find some unusual routing to avoid BA (they've found stuff for me in the past that didn't show on the web)

uggboy likes this.
  6. MMK2013

MMK2013 Member

Status Points:
    ^^I actually went to BCN last summer. I was hoping for AMS since it would be a new city for me. 8/3-11 are the dates I have to work with.

uggboy likes this.
  7. maksim

maksim Silver Member

Status Points:
    we had a 12 hour layover in AMS on way back from Russia last year. So I went on the town. Only 45 mins or so from the airport via train. Was awesome just to go walk around. I think 3 days is fine for a quick getaway. The thing with Europe, you can always use trains to get anywhere you want to.

uggboy likes this.
  8. MMK2013

MMK2013 Member

Status Points:
    Well I guess it pays to be patient lol. I checked UA a few min ago and it seems more availability popped up. Economy wasn't available but I do see low business outbound on 8/3 nonstop with available returns with 1 connection 8/8, 8/9 and 8/11.

9. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would say that you can see Amsterdam in 3 days, however, it is a lot of air miles to use up for such a short trip, which is a shame that you can't get more time off. However as you've said, being patient is key! Sometimes I find the best deals waiting last minute, although can be risky!