Amsterdam Conservatorium Hotel

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by canucklehead, Oct 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Conservatorium Hotel - A new 5 star hotel opening this year in Amsterdam.

Conservatorium Hotel's exquisite contemporary design is designed in collaboration with the management company's vision and commitment to excellence and execution, and in partnership with one of Italy's leading architects and interior designers Piero Lissoni.

The hotel will be located in Museumpleain across from the Stedelijk and van Gogh Museum and down the street from the Rjikmuseum.

128 room hotel with rooms ranging from 30m2 to 170m2 (270-1530sq ft).

uggboy and TRAVELSIG like this.
  2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully it is a luxury hotel as Amsterdam has a real dearth of anything close to luxury properties at the moment with the exception of the Amstel IC which is looking a bit old.

uggboy and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    To me, the Amstel seems too far from the center of Amsterdam. I've liked the Hotel d'Europe, but it has looked worn for a while and I'm not convinced that they haven't lost lots of the charm with the renovations. For example, I hate the new look of the hallways, especially the doors to rooms.

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly.
    It will be very good news if the Conservatorium is a real luxury hotel.

uggboy likes this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about the Okura Hotel Amsterdam?

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no desire to stay in an Asian chain hotel when I'm in Europe, especially one that isn't centrally located.

I've also tried the edgy upscale trendy design hotel (I forget the name of it now) in several townhouses and their service was a disaster. When I ask for help at the concierge desk with dinner reservations when the hotel restaurant was suddenly closed for a private event, the answer should not be "here's a guidebook; you can read it yourself" nor should a teenage intern from a foreign country who just arrived be giving information about the city to guests.

Another bad Amsterdam experience was the IIRC Sheraton, perhaps Starwood LC now, property on the canal that's an interesting combination of about five large townhouses with a glass atrium added. I was confirmed into a king deluxe room in writing and they tried to tell me that king sized beds do not exist in Europe and give me a tiny room with a single twin bed at the same price. Never again! It didn't help that the hotel had a loud drunken party on their boat under my window for most of the night.

uggboy likes this.
  7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed in general, however a couple of exceptions are the Mandarin Oriental in Prague and the Hotel Nikko in Dusseldorf for example.

Drunken party underneath your window sounds like a nightmare.

I have not found a real luxury hotel in Amsterdam and would like to.

uggboy likes this.
  8. vincentb89

vincentb89 Active Member

Status Points:
    I've been to the De l'Europe after being refurbished ( while it was doing its soft opening in late July 2011) for a two nights stay and, after staying twice at the Amstel, i do feel that De l'Europe is way better in terms of : location, accomodation and maybe even service.

Rooms are really nice ( a lot of technology, amazing beds and, if you request it, a nice view of the canal with balconies (didn't get one unfortunately) , location is nice ( 15 min walk from the Thalys station, 10 min walk to Vondelpark and 15 min walk to the museums), service is on par with 5 star hotels I've staying at in Europe and you have this feeling of quietness (soft opening with a low occupancy maybe helped ...)

However there were a few misses and I didn't use all facilities on site, mainly due to the soft opening (spa closed, steam and sauna still being built while the pool was open) . I'm supposed to come back there for another two nights stay early november and I'll post a detailed trip report with pictures