AMS-PHL-AMS Buy-up Day of Departure?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by baccarat_guy, Jan 4, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. baccarat_guy
    Original Member

baccarat_guy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

I have a reason to fly to PHL (*cough* Atlantic City); and the AMS-PHL-AMS (nonstop) pricing of €600'ish roundtrip all-in is pretty decent. With that being said, I haven't flown in "Y" on an international long-haul in about 2+ years. Now, this is a "horrible" AA 757 TransAtlantic configuration.... and the "J" fare is very high.... so not willing to spend the asking price for "J" on the nonstop.....

So.. anyone have experience ex-AMS (or ex-PHL) upgrading for CASH day of departure? For Delta/KLM ex-AMS you can upgrade anything for Cash, Miles or Cash+Miles DoD. Is this something that AA does globally or at specific outstations?

Any potential insight would be appreciated. This is my "year of OneWorld," since I have a number of CX and BA flights in J/F and will easily make BA Gold by mid-year. (already Delta Diamond through January 2017)

2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA sells day of flight upgrades, is space is there,,

Load should be close to,others on thevsamevday same rout...

ORD-PEK $250 the other day....no takers...UNITED..

3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I flew that route last year. Not only was J full, but J was that abysmal old recliner with footrest. My seat didn't work.

4. baccarat_guy
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it's horrible equipment; hence why I'm loathe to pay anywhere near full price. Do you believe that if there are seats available they would sell "buy-ups" for Day of Departure? And, if so, what would the price range be?

AMS-PHL is so convenient (and such a relatively short flight) for January 2016 (depart around 13:00'ish arrive around 16:00'ish) that I'm not really that interested in flying AMS-LHR-PHL for better equipment. I could optionally fly to EWR; but PHL is way more convenient to Atlantic City, IMHO.

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    A quick peek at flights this month looks like you might have a shot at a buy-up opportunity. I see flights this week that still have a handful of J seats, though not many. I'd have to imagine it's going to be at least $300 one-way, but I have no specific experience here to say I'm right.

6. baccarat_guy
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

Targeting the 28th January to around the 1st of February. Figure it's probably best to avoid Sunday evening return to AMS due to biz travellers.

Now, forgive my for ignorance, but what is the AA process for DoD upgrades? Ask at check-in? Request at OLCI?

Since the fare is around €600, another €600 for upgrades doesn't really bother me that much. I personally feel that around €1200'ish roundtrip all-in for biz AMS-PHL-AMS is "fair." But not the €3500'ish I believe is the advertised price.