AMS (Amsterdam Airport Schiphol) Starting 3 June 2015 Central Security Departures 2 (non-Schengen)

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by baccarat_guy, Apr 28, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. baccarat_guy
    Original Member

baccarat_guy Silver Member

Status Points:
    FYI for those transiting and originating from AMS starting the 3rd of June 2015, non-Schengen security will now be centralized. (no more gate security)

My assumption is that there will be Privium and SkyPriority security queues (for Departure Hall 2); perhaps even combined.
    LINK to (PDF) maps (just ignore the Privium references for non-Privium SkyPriority passengers).

Basically, central security screening for Departures 2 (KLM and Delta) will now be on the mezzanine level behind the check-in counters. I do believe this will be similar (in layout) to the Schengen security arrangement at Departures 1.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure I like this. Once I learned to avoid the holding pens, I've enjoyed the current set-up at AMS with security at the gate for flights to the USA.

SYD likes this.
  3. baccarat_guy
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ideally, security from USA non-Schengen to Schengen is supposed to NOT require security screening (only immigration processing). If this was the case, this would be an improvement for those connecting (no additional security screening). I know they publicised this when non-Schengen centralised security (@AMS) was first announced. I am not confident this is really going to be the case.

4. baccarat_guy
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was able to inquire a bit more, and it does look like there will just be separate queues for getting to centralized (non-Schengen) security ex-AMS (Privium and SkyPriority, First and Business Class); but then we will all "dump" into the same security screening stations. While this will save some time, it is far from optimal IMO with regard to expedited screening.

5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I always found gate security annoying, especially when they confiscated the KLM water that I'd gotten in the lounge to fill my empty water bottle. Nonsense.

anileze likes this.
  6. WheelchairTravel

WheelchairTravel Active Member

Status Points:
    Gate security at AMS has always been a real pain for me. I like to stay in the CL for as long as possible, but getting through the mass of people in the holding pen with a wheelchair is a true nightmare.

I am very interested to see this in effect. I will be transiting AMS 2-3 times in June after the changes are in place.