Amman / Royal Jordanian questions

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by Aktchi, May 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had to book a Business Class award ORD-DEL-ORD on a short notice. Outbound is on CX via HKG and BKK. Return on RJ via AMM and YUL, in Crown class.

First time on RJ and in AMM, I shall be grateful for some advice and guidance:

(1) AMM Hotels. I have no knowledge of AMM. Flight availability is forcing a 2-day stopover, which I am happy to make most of. My flight reaches AMM at 9AM, a normal hour. Will there be tourist help desks to help find me a decent cheap hotel? Or should I try to do best on my own in advance?

(2) Airbus 340 v 330. So far there is no availability in AMM-ORD direct (Airbus 340). I am tentatively booked on AMM-YUL (Airbus 330). How is the Crown Class seat on the 330? Would the 340 be so much better that I should hold out for other connections? I don't care so much about the extra YUL-ORD flight, but about being able to sleep on the big TATL.

Thank you very much.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you checked whether Jordan requires a visa, perhaps a transit visa? Also, what about a visa for India? Are there health requirements or recommendations?

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jadec

jadec Active Member

Status Points:
    Jordan does require a visa on arrival for most nationalities: 20JD (cash only) but there is an exchange counter right by the visa queue. I didn't notice a hotel booking service but I already had a hotel booked. Another option to staying in Amman is to stay in Madaba (smaller town, closer to AMM and some historical mosaics and sites, etc).

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amman is an interesting city. There are some sites worth checking out in the city.
    I highly recommend a visit to Jerash where you can visit the old Roman city- ruins of Gerasa. It's about 45 minutes from Amman by taxi.
    You can also hire a taxi to drive you to see some of the desert castles.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    [OP here. My trip is over; here is a review of the RJ experience. Please forgive me, but I just don't have the knack for photographing dozens of snack plates as is common in trip reports or blogs. :) AMM the city itself was quite pleasant and my stay too short to do it any justice. I definitely want to return for a longer stop. Yes, the cabbies do try to cheat you and there are too many smokers!]

A brief review of RJ trans-atlantic service and its lounge in AMM lounge

I recently flew RJ A330 from DEL-AMM, had a 1.5 day "connection", then RJ A340 from AMM-YUL. I spent 6 hours in the AMM Crown lounge. I traveled in Business Class. Here is a brief review of this experience.

AMM Airport: If you just flew into AMM or are doing so in the near future, this will be one of your less cherished airport experiences. However, they are building a new airport and your future arrivals and departures will be more enjoyable.

AMM Transit/Transfer staff: While space reflects the airport (see above), a counter to change money and a connection desk with 4-5 agents were at least adequate. Service was excellent. Upon noticing my long connection, they offered me a complementary room at the airport hotel. When I declined, they sent a staffer to accompany me to the "on the arrival visa" counter. Could have been a gesture towards my OneWorld Emerald status or Business Class ticket, and I am not sure if it made any difference, but the attention felt god.

On-time performance and communications: Poor. [​IMG] My ORD-YUL departure was delayed by 3.5 hours. Now, you realize that a pilot doesn't discover in the last minute "oops, I am more than 3 hours late". Such things are known in advance, at least broad picture, but RJ was very stingy with truth. At 1AM, my 230 departure was showing on time. At 2AM, it was advanced to 3AM. At 4AM, the board was showing estimated departure of 3:30; at 5AM the ETD moved to 4:30! Eventually we left around 6AM. To look at the bright side, this gave me a lot of time to experience the lounge and its staff. [​IMG]

A330/340 cabin and seats: Business class cabin is identical in A330 and A340. It was clean and spacious - in fact, so much space between rows is uncommon. Seats are comfortable. The design is a bit dated and lacks cleverly engineered spaces for shoes, eyeglasses, newspapers, headphones etc. (As I just just flew CX too, that is a well designed seat for such features.)

Cabin Service: Excellent. It is only in very minute details that you notice that the training is a notch below the very best. (E.g., when asked by my neighbor, one FA didn't know where the overhead lighting switch and headphone jack were. Not a big deal, but wouldn't happen on some carriers.) Nevertheless, excellent, friendly and competent in most ways.

Cabin Food: A- . A notch below the best, but well above the average and nothing to complain about.

Crown Lounge facility and food: The lounge is spacious and clean. Lots of computer terminals but only a few were working and nobody could fix the others. One unusual nice touch was personal entertainment stations with headphones. Food and beverages were not bad, but nothing exceptional.

Crown Lounge showers: [​IMG] The policy of charging elites and Business Class pax $15 for a shower should get the idiocy award of the year. Needless to say, even with only two showers, they get little to no use. One of them has evolved into the janitor's closet, while the other one sat unused throughout the six hours I was there.

Crown Lounge Staff: Friendly and generally competent. They too were handicapped by lack of information and had to deal with irate pax. Again, some staff just a notch below the best in professionalism - eg, socializing among themselves instead of serving the guests. However, our receptionist (midnight to 5AM on June 29) was superb in her balancing act and could easily work the LH First lounge at FRA or the CX at HGK. (If any RJ management is reading this: promote her, and fire the guys responsible for the shower policy and those for maintaining the information board).

Kalboz likes this.