Amex

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by michael21, Mar 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is the most I can do travel wise with 75,000 points from AMEX premier rewards?

2. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, but you have not provided nearly enough information to answer the question. Your question is extremely general and without knowing what you value, it is impossible to answer. You can tranfer MR points to airlines or hotels at various rates and some offer bonuses of around 25-50% now and again. You can purchase gift cards (I think they run $1 = 100 MR). You can purchase things from 500+ retailers.

harvson3 likes this.
  3. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the key is to identify where you want to go before you work out which program you might want to use. Also do you have points in existing programs that could influence your decision?

harvson3 likes this.
  4. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry guys still new at this...all points point to Europe so yes I have about:
    60k SPG
    200k united
    100m UR
    and 75k AMEX

5. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amex MR partner airlines AeroMexico, Air Canada, Alitalia, ANA, BA, Delta, El Al, Air France, Frontier, Hawaiian, Iberia, JetBlue, Qantas, Singapore, South African, Swiss, Virgin America, and Virgin Atlantic. Most transfer 1:1 points to miles, with periodic promotions/bonuses. Currently, BA offers a 50% bonus, for example. Delta is known to offer good transfer bonuses as well -- for example, last year they gave a 50% bonus and 25,000 MQMs if you transferred at least 50,000 MR points.

Ultimately, what others said above is true: until you have a specific redemption in mind, there's little use in speculatively transferring points. I would sit tight on those until you have a specific need.

harvson3 and Sweet Willie like this.
  6. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's what I'm saying that is it best to use em for a hotel? Which transfer partner?

7. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    See the posts by IkeEsq and Toula above. Amex MR rewards transfer to a number of hotel programs. There are a host of hotels in Europe that you can book using Amex points, but they vary as to quality and availability. You might get better responses if you asked which is the better hotel in a specific city, or among a small group of cities. The above advice remains the same: think about your itinerary and goals first, ask about flights and hotels, then think about how best to transfer points.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  8. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I have never transferred MR points to a hotel program and probably never will. For me, the main focus of my loyalty programs is being able to redeem in premium cabins on long haul flights. Only time I redeem hotel points is when a hotel is too expensive and there are not any decent promotions for bonus points on.

You need to define what you want, set the goal then you work out what you need to meet that goal. That helps you to determine how you are going to get there.

I never transfer unless I am certain I am going to be redeeming the points in the near future. Even though BA has a bonus redemption offer on at the moment I have no intent of taking advantage of it as I don't need to fund any of my accounts at the moment.

If you want to go to Europe you need to start looking to see how far those UA points are going to go. Will they get you there? If so start thinking about accommodation. Europe is so expensive, even for redemptions, I would not get too hung up with staying with a chain just because you are a member of a loyalty program. For example, I am going to Paris next week, rather than stay at a hotel I have rented an apt. for a week as it is way cheaper than using a hotel taking into account food costs and access to a washer and dryer.

9. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    50 percent bonus right now for transferring to BA, you could probably find a round trip flight somewhere for that.

10. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys...I send some points to SPG. And I used the rest for 2 nights in Venice.