AmEx Will Eliminate Threshold Bonus On Premier Rewards Gold Card

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Zomby Woof, Oct 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea....eshold-bonus-on-best-membership-rewards-card/

"We are eliminating this because the majority of Premier Rewards Gold Card Members did not meet the annual spending threshold of $30,000 and did not get the point bonus. Instead, we are evaluating other benefits and services that we believe may provide value to more of our Premier Rewards Gold Card Members."

How about no foreign transactions fees and 2x points on dining?

2. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully they'll replace it with other benefits but I'm not holding my breath

danielwood and marcwint55 like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about coming up with a replacement first and then replace instead of remove the benefit. If I was affected, I would not hold my breath for the replacement.

MX, marcwint55 and B1BomberVB like this.
  4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    if they'd add no foreign transaction fees I'd probably make the switch. I actually still have the 85.00/year original Amex Gold (and I think 50-60 extra for membership rewards).

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems their ratio is 1 replacement for every 3 removals. I remember the gold old days of Centurion cards getting Hyatt Diamond and SPG Platinum. Now you can't even get into an AA lounge with the card.

MX likes this.
  6. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't it be better to introduce a replacement benefit at the same time to soften the blow of bad news?

And if not many cardholders reached the minimum spend threshold to get the bonus, maybe they could have changed it to $20,000 and 10,000 points? Something easier instead of eliminating it completely?

7. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the issue as AMEX says is that the majority of members did not reach the threshold bonus, then I would think they would want members to spend more on the card. So, they could add more MR earning ability based on categories. Could enhance the 3x points to cover additional travel like hotels, car rentals, trains, cruises, etc. Could enhance 2x to include dining. Currently other than airfare it doesn't offer better MR earning than the Everyday Preferred (fee $80 less) even if you don't reach the 30 charges in a cycle.

I like your idea of lowering to $20K. Maybe, AMEX could also offer an additional 5K MR for every $10K spend on the card over $20K.

AMEX could change it to the EveryDay Premier:

3x points on groceries ($10K limit then 1x points)
    2x points on gas, dining and travel (car rentals, airfare, hotels, trains, cruises)
    1x on everything else

20% bonus in a cycle for 20 to 29 swipes or 50% bonus if 30+ swipes in a cycle.
    500+ swipes in a year get 0.5 MR bonus for every $1 spent.

moongoddess and pointshogger like this.
  8. danielwood

danielwood Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think AMEX will provide some NEW benefits to keep and attract customers, although in fact AMEX has been caught up with by CHASE in terms of many aspects.

9. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the two EveryDay cards are an attempt to provide and alternative (or compliment) to Chase Freedom and Sapphire Preferred.

10. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    AMEX should hire you. That card would easily get the majority of my CC spend.

Zomby Woof likes this.
  11. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points: