Amex Travelers Cheques

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by TheMcvicars, Jul 25, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. TheMcvicars

TheMcvicars New Member

Status Points:
    I did a search on cheques and checks and didn't see this asked before, maybe I missed it....

Has anyone looked into buying Travelers Cheques monthly. Buy from a credit union or one bank and deposit into second bank account that you use for bill payment (mortgage/auto/rent etc). I know that Travelers Cheques are going the way of the Dodo. One of my banks doesn't offer them anymore, having replaced them with travel debit cards. I know some credit unions and such used to have no fee purchase as a member benefit.

Would this type of purchase accrue toward a minimum spend in order to receive bonus miles on a new card (3k over 3 most etc etc)?

Thanks....

agusnain and milchap like this.
  2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there a fee to cash a traveller cheque ?
    Welcome to Milepoint !

satman40 likes this.
  3. TheMcvicars

TheMcvicars New Member

Status Points:
    • Many banks, especially credit unions, now offer free traveler’s checks for members of their bank. There may be some regulation as to what type of account you have, but not always. Check with your bank to see what their traveler’s check policy is.
    • If you are going to be traveling often, switching to a bank that offers this service for free may be your best option.

from a site I found. I cannot post links,

satman40 and milchap like this.
  4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never been charged a fee for cashing Travler Checks, but I have not used them in years.

A product of the 60s.

I could see no reason to get them from one bank to pay another bank, unless we could buy them with a CC.

5. TheMcvicars

TheMcvicars New Member

Status Points:
    that was the idea, buy them with a CC.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is unlikely that you'll find a bank or service which will sell you TCs paid for with a credit card with no fee. AmEx used to do it at their travel centers but stopped many years ago. Just going to your regular bank will get you checks as a cash withdrawal from the account, not as a CC transaction.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  7. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any current tricks on FF points. Coin idea is now dead wondering if anything else if new in quick ways to get FF points besides CC signup and flying.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Manufactured spending and reselling are both alive and well. Both also take a decent amount of work.

satman40 and traveltoomuch like this.
  9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    SMGC, Convert to MO or use SERVE.,easy points..

Coins went dead many years ago,

The shipping place was 20 miles from my home. They always came UPS Next Day Air, and the UPS Guy we laugh many a day...and the bank never seemed to care..

We also bought many gold coins, when the price was in the $700 range when the double bottom formed, it was a good game...