Amex Travel

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by ducster, Apr 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I need to buy tickets for my family trip this December, and the best schedule/fares require outbound on UA and return on LX. Has anyone here booked flights through Amex travel? Would they be any better/worse than booking on an OTA, or with a local live human?

Thanks in advance.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It really depends on who you get. They have some very sharp agents and some unbelievably stupid agents. Lately when I have called it has been the latter.

ducster likes this.
  3. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the input. Have you (or anyone else) booked online through the Amex website? I can do that since the flights are pretty straightforward. I'm also interested in what kind of support they offer in case of any problems like irrops.

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once it gets to IRROPS, you're dealing with the airline, not the OTA.

marcwint55, ducster and skyvan like this.
  5. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. Not sure what I was thinking there.

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having a live agent helps if you need to cancel/reschedule the ticket. This is the reason I book most of my international tickets via my agent (not Amex)

marcwint55 likes this.
  7. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I booked a couple of trips through AMEX Travel, and have had no problems. I found them very helpful in picking between using miles or AMEX 2 for 1 promotion which is not often the best way to go.

marcwint55 likes this.
  8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not booked online through them

SuperKirby likes this.
  9. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Trying to book on the Amex website. I keep getting this error with a few itineraries: "There is no availability in the segments. Please choose a different itinerary" even though there is obvious availability direct from United.com. If I choose another airline with the exact itin, it works. Anyone know if this happens a lot with UA or probably just a glitch and I need to wait it out? I'm trying to earn extra MR points, or do you think I should just go ahead and book directly from United.com? FWIW it has unique segments.

10. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I actually tried to book the tickets I talked about in the OP on the website and kept getting an error message. When I called Amex (twice, on consecutive days), neither of the reps were able to do it either. After three days of trying, I finally gave up and was able to book the exact itinerary on the LH website for a little cheaper (same fare, but less the $11/ticket booking fee that Amex charges).

SuperKirby likes this.
  11. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like the website is just flat out incapacitated (nicest word I can find for the darn website).