Amex Transparency on membership rewards values - new web page

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by davythefatboy, Mar 14, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. davythefatboy

davythefatboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just saw this web page for the first time, where Amex explicitly shows the dollar values of membership rewards points for different types of purchase or redemption (basically starting at a a penny a point and going down to 0.5 cent). This has always been murky in the past (e.g. redeeming points for hotels on the travel site is .85 cents whereas airfare is 1 cent).

If this web site has been around for a while or mentioned previously I apologize.

https://rewards.americanexpress.com...c/pricinghub?&linknav=us-mr-mrhome-pointsinfo

Kalboz, ACMM and Zomby Woof like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always implicitly thought in terms of one cent per point if used well. Note that MR points can be converted to miles in some airline FF programs, etc.

Kalboz likes this.
  3. davythefatboy

davythefatboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most of the mileage community think that getting only one cent per point is fairly pathetic, they think that MR points are best transferred to airline miles and used for First or Business class flight awards. That's my favorite too, but valuations are tricky -- a First class redemption might be "worth" 5 cents or more per point based on cost of purchasing the first class ticket, but few us who are willing buy such tickets with miles would ever consider buying them with dollars. In the end points are funny money that we treat very differently than cash.

Personally I have always been annoyed at the huge variations in value for Amex MR points - a penny for a home depot gift card and half a cent for an Amex gift card (which is pretty close to cash) or 0.6 cents for an Amex statement credit. The way the valuations move all over the place make me feel that it's all about minimizing cost to Amex rather than giving me a good value. Which is why I now put so many charges on 2% (or 2.2%) cash back cards instead of Amex.

B1BomberVB and DJP_707 like this.