Amex Surpass card with 60k for 3k spend

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by particlemn, Jan 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I logged into my amex account today and saw they were offering a referal card for the hilton amex surpass( this is the one with the $75 fee) with a pretty good 60k signup bonus, I have not seen the surpass with 60k sign up bonus with the surpass you also get upgraded to Gold for the first year. If any one has the 60k or better for the surpass card offer link please post below, or if anyone is interested in a refernce please pm my with name and email and I will forward it on to you.

Full Disclosure I would get 20k for anyone who is approved through a referal

Text from amex site below:
    It's a win-win situation. Your friends get to experience the benefits of American Express® Cardmembership, and you can earn a bonus for each approved Cardmember. Just fill out the form below and we'll take it from there.(1)
    Your friend will receive an offer for the Hilton HHonors® SurpassSM card from American Express:
    Up to 60,000 Hilton HhonorsTM Bonus Points: 40,000 after their first purchase and 20,000 with $3,000 in spend within the first 3 months of cardmembership (3)

Terms and Conditions
    1. You understand and agree that the referred individual(s) must apply through an e-mailed link (provided by American Express) and be approved for you to receive the bonus. Your friend(s) may not receive this e-mail if they have previously "opted out" of receiving e-mail marketing communications from American Express. Due to the confidential nature of the credit approval process, you will not be notified of whether we approve or decline any application(s) from individual(s) you refer.
    2. You are eligible to earn 20,000 Hilton HHonors™ Bonus Points for each approval up to a total of 1,000,000 Bonus Points. Referrals must be submitted by February 13, 2012 and referred individual(s) must apply by February 28, 2012 and be approved. Please allow 6–8 weeks for Bonus Points to post to your account after each referred prospect is approved for the Card. Due to the confidential nature of the credit approval process, you will not be notified of whether we approve or decline any application(s) from individual(s) you refer.
    3. To earn a First Purchase Bonus of up to 40,000 Hilton HHonorsTM Bonus Points (Bonus Points), referred individual(s) must make their first eligible purchase with the Hilton HHonorsTM Surpass® Card from American Express (Card) within one year of the date their Card account was opened. Limited to one First Purchase Bonus per Card account. Only first-time Hilton HHonors Surpass Cardmembers are eligible to earn a First Purchase Bonus of up to 40,000 Bonus Points. Cardmembers who have previously earned a First Purchase Bonus from any Hilton HHonors Card from American Express earn the difference between 40,000 Bonus Points and the number of First Purchase Bonus Points previously earned. Allow 8-12 weeks for Bonus Points to be credited to their Hilton HHonors account. Referred individual(s) will receive 20,000 Hilton HHonorsTM Bonus Points if, within the first 92 days following the date on which their Card account was opened, they charge a total of $3,000 or more of eligible purchases on their Hilton HHonorsTM Card from American Express. The 20,000 Bonus Points will be credited to their account 8-12 weeks after they reach the Threshold Amount. Bonus Points do not count toward elite tier qualification.

Hilton HHonorsTM membership, earning of Points & MilesTM, and redemption of Points are subject to HHonors Terms and Conditions, hilton
    honnors terms ©2011 Hilton Worldwide.

The information entered on this page will not be used for any purpose other than sending this e-mail and will not be retained after this e-mail is sent.

uggboy likes this.
  2. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seriously? I looked for this two days ago and it was not there, my friend who was going to apply though decided his credit was too poor for amex's taste :(

I actually sent a secure message and ASKED and got told no such offer was running ....

uggboy likes this.
  3. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I checked both my(surpass) and my wife's (non surpass) and both are offernig bonus for referal. its just the surpass offers 60k to the referee and 20k to the referer, but the regular only offers 40k to the referee and 20k to the referer so for the non surpass you can do better on the public offering

uggboy likes this.
  4. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are surpass holders eligible for a non surpass card signup bonus and vise versa?

uggboy likes this.
  5. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I dont think so, its just I have the surpass card and my wife has the non-surpass card, so since i manage both accounts online for us I can refer from either her account or mine. i would not recommend the reference from the non-surpass card to anyone since the best public offer is 60k for 750 spend but the refernce offer is just 40k for 750 spend. but the surpass offer is as good as you can get anywhere for the new card holder and I would get 20k for myself so i would recommend that especially if someone want to be instantly upgraded to gold.

uggboy likes this.
  6. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, I have a suprass card and I have defenitly used it, and enjoyed being gold.

PS I can invite toooo ;)

uggboy likes this.
  7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've asked particlemn for an invite.

Can anyone confirm the differences between this and the normal card? To me it looks like 9 points per hilton purchase instead of 6 and gold status for first year (I don't need this year) and gold status with 20k spend - instead of the base sliver status on the standard card?

If anyone wants to get the standard (non fee + bonus) card I can refer them.

uggboy likes this.
  8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oops anyone have experience with this? I did get a bonus already on the other Hilton card...

uggboy likes this.
  9. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I may have some experience, or at least some history. . .For the first few years of "Surpass," Amex made clear it would subtract out any previous Hilton Amex enrollment bonus in calculating the new one. In my case, I think that would have been 10,000 subtracted from the new bonus. HOWEVER, when I upgraded on Jan. 1, I used an offer that promised 50,000 bonus points for a $3K spend in 90 days (and have already got those points credited, BTW) and there was NO MENTION of subtracting anything out (and nothing was). Now, with this newest referral offer that is the subject of this thread, that "subtract" provision is back in again. So other than getting something for the referrer, this offer is no better than the no-subtract one under which I upgraded, as I see it. I wish they'd just make up their minds and stay put. :)

Still, like at least two others above, should anyone want a referral, you could contact me as well, ha ha!

uggboy and iolaire like this.
  10. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Iolare the one difference between standard and "Surpass" you didn't mention is that at least with some "Surpass" offers, the cardmember is promised "HHonors Diamond" status with a $40k annual (calendar year) spend. However, I noted some offers I received did not appear to mention this. It was mentioned in the one I chose to finally upgrade with. Thus I would recommend, particularly here in January, that if any potential upgrader thought he or she might potentially spend $40k in a calendar year, that the particular offer be scrutinized to see if the "Diamond" potential is mentioned -- and if not, look for another offer. As I said in another post to you a few minutes ago, I just wish they would make up their minds and stay put!

Many standard (no fee) Hilton Amex cards, by the way -- including the one I had carried 2001 - 2011, do offer "HHonors Gold" for a $20k calendar-year spend.

uggboy and iolaire like this.
  11. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    With the surpass you get upgraded to gold for the first year without having to spend 20 k that is the main benefit over the plain card. You would prpbably get the difference in sign up bonus if you have the regular card but if you have had the free card for over a year the sign up bpnus was only 25 k back then

uggboy likes this.
  12. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update here - I had the free Amex card from last year – received 50k points on that - and currently had gold for a year via one of those international credit card promotions, particlemn referred me for the Surpass Card. I received the 40k sign up bonus on the Surpass and the 20k bonus for meeting the $3k spend… Also the gold status was added on the end of my current gold status so I now have status through 2013 and into 2014! Thanks.

Therefore when applying for Amex Hilton cards:
    1. Get the free card first with the bonus
    2. Wait a bit and get the Surpass Card (in my case 9 or so months) via a referall from some one

uggboy likes this.
  13. Blue2

Blue2 Active Member

Status Points:
    Theres no such thing on the german amex-site, right?

uggboy likes this.
  14. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering you can't see you expiration date on-line, how do you know that it will carryon into 2014?

uggboy likes this.
  15. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received my gold card from some promotion with a 2013 date, then received this card and was sent a second gold card with a 2014 expiration date.

uggboy likes this.
  16. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amex has dropped the refeal rate back to 10,000, it seems the 20k was for a limited time

17. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had some difficulty in getting the refeal points from Amex. I have gotten two so far but none were automatic. I was able to get this resolved using askamex on twitter. I tryed calling amex, no help, i tried secure message, no help. then twitter came through.
    So anyone else looking to refer someone under this program, save the name of referee, date refered, and the city and statwe of the referee, then after 6 weeks and no points tweet to askamex about not posting of referee points and they will ask for " name of referee, date refered, and the city and statwe of the referee" I have done this twice and they have done a manual pts adjustment both times.

even though this is a little extra work I am willing to continue doing it if anyone else would like a referal, or I recall iolaire is also offering to send referals,
    anyone else have points post automatically or did you have to request them

iolaire likes this.