AMEX strategy and the 100K Platinum card.

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by LarryInNYC, Jan 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an AMEX Business Gold, the only AMEX brand card I have had for about 20 years (I also have an AAdvantage AMEX card from the trifecta a couple of years ago). I've had the Gold card for between 1.5 and 2 years.

I'd like to build up my MR points, and I wouldn't mind having an AMEX Platinum card (it sure would have come in handy last week when I had two four hour lay-overs in Dallas -- one planned and one weather-related).

Obviously, I'd like to kill two birds with one stone by getting the 100K AMEX Platinum offer. I'm not in any real rush to get the card since I probably won't need these miles until 2015, but I would like to consider that best strategy for collecting MR points, with an initial focus on taking any actions that might improve my chances (or my wife's for that matter) of getting the 100K offer for that card.

So, I have a few questions:
    1. Is my holding the Business Gold card making it less likely that I'll get the special offer for the Platinum card?
    2. Does my having the Business Gold offer exclude me from receiving any points at all for the Platinum card? I assume, if it does exclude me it would only be for the Business Platinum and not the personal version.
    3. If I want to retire my Business Gold card, how can I best hold on to the MR points I currently have in my account.
    4. Besides the Platinum card, are there any other AMEX cards that I might also be eligible for that would help me increase my MR balance?
    5. What are the best places to "check" for the AMEX offer?
    6. Are there any other actions I can take to increase the likelihood of getting targeted for that card?

2. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't comment on your questions, but the Travelsort blog has some recent articles regarding AMEX retention offers and several related topics that might help you out.

See: http://travelsort.com/blog/amex-retention-bonus-offers and some of the links in that article.

3. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the business gold and have been mailed numerous 100,000 platinum offers, even though I don't qualify because I have the gold. You can't have any MR business card within the last year to get the bonus.

4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    So:
    1. Is there a personal Platinum 100K offer, and would I qualify for that even with the Business PRG card?
    2. If I wanted to "park" my MR points and cancel the PRG card to start the clock running on that year, what's the best way to park the points without putting myself out of the running for some other bonus?

5. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure. I've never had a personal 100,000 offer. I just know that the 100,000 busplat offer is only for those who don't already have a business MR card.

6. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having the Business Gold card wouldn't stop you from receiving the MR points for a personal card, any personal card.

As far as parking your MR points (I assume you realize you could transfer them out someplace before you close the card), I believe there is still a "Blue for Business" card which could accomplish that and yet not prevent you from receiving points from a Green/Gold/Platinum card offer at least according to this link:

http://pointsandpixiedust.boardingarea.com/when-it-makes-sense-to-downshift-a-credit-card/

7. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Other Amex cards? Well, you could upgrade your Amex Gold Business to a Platinum and probably get a bump. Login to your account and see if they make you an offer to upgrade. You used to be able to get both the personal Amex Platinum and the Mercedes Benz Platinum but I believe they've tightened that up recently. You could do the Amex Gold PRG and then an upgrade to platinum bump in your personal account as well, presumably. Got a wife?

8. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

This seemed like a better place to ask my question than starting a new thread. The other week I went through the "check for upgrades" process on my AmEx Blue Cash card, and the only offer was to move up to the Preferred one. No thanks, I don't really use the card anyway (spend goes towards the SPG card).

Just last night I received an email from AmEx offering me 40,000 MR points to upgrade to the personal Platinum card (after $3k within 3 months spend threshold). Slightly tempting, but I've been soured to such a "low" bonus threshold since my wife took up an offer for 100k MR points after $5k spend middle of last year...

Has anyone had success calling AmEx and asking for a larger bonus than what has already been targeted?

Thanks,
    theBOAT

9. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bump...

10. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    How do you check for upgrades? I logged into my AMEX account selected my Hilton card but didn't see any links to "check for upgrades". Was hoping for a better than current offer for the Surpass version of the Hilton card.