AMEX SPG or Gold Card

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Dad to GO, Mar 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone,

I am getting ready for my next "churn" in the next month and need your help. I can't decide between getting the AMEX SPG card or the AMEX Gold card. My wife and I are planning a trip to Europe for 2 weeks late this year or early next year using our 2 for 1 BA companion pass and miles. I have 100K+ in Priority Club and HHonors and also 75K in Marriott and 130K UR points. Would it be smarter to get the SPG card and use it for points/cash redemption or should I plan to get the Gold Card (targeted 50K offer)? In the long run we'd like to also go to Australia in the next 2 years using U.S. Airways miles that we've accumulated doing the grandslam. I hear so much about both programs I just am not sure which one to apply for.

Any help, thoughts, questions, would be great!

Gary

2. SDFlyer

SDFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I would get the SPG card. You can never have too many SPG points. Their cash/points redemptions are very nice and get a great return for your points. Question, if you were to get the AMEX Gold card instead, what would you do with the 50k points? Short of the current MR>SPG>US Airline bonus, they maybe hard to use given your current plans.

3. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would go with the SPG. More options if you change your mind and great for points and cash stays, and the airline transfer bonus

SDFlyer likes this.
  4. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    SPG Amex is my preferred card, I'm actually canceling my Amex Gold card (higher fees, MR points don't transfer to my preferred partners) i used SPG in Australia -1 week Sheraton Perth and 1 week Westin Sydney using full points but tend to favor cash/points option. Also since I don't travel much for business I qualify for gold status with spend requirement which is nice .

5. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the response everyone. I was kind of leaning towards the SPG also. Since I don't currently travel much for work I figured it was probably better to get the SPG and use it when my wife and I go on our Europe trip next year and then Australia/New Zealand in 2 years. I am going to get the U.S. Airways card again for my wife and myself and keep churning it for those miles. Change of subject here... what airline(s) do you guys recommend for point redemption travel in business/first to Australia?

Thanks again!

Gary

6. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lots of airline ideas I would look in the alliance forums. That said, I used One World pre-Avios) on Cathay and JAL out of JFK to Australia but am now saving Star Alliance (US Air miles) to use on Air New Zealand back to NZ/AUS not best J product but works for me as I only need flat bed to be happy