Amex sleight of hand

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Flying Bat, Jan 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had to call Amex today to complain that following a qualifying spend for the MR opening bonus, they had processed a bonus 10k MR too few.

Why do these errors always seem only ever to work in the corporates' favour?
    Does the wearing and so time consuming process of telephoning in to argue corrections on promotional offers tend to put people off?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    They don't.

jwsky and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you offer an example of when it has worked the other way?

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Disclaimer: I don't interpret "these errors" narrowly as just referring to credit card signup bonus errors, but rather generally errors related to miles/point postings

Off the top of my head:

- I have had mileage and SWU upgrades on UA where for some reason the miles or cert wasn't pulled from my account. I've also had the opposite, where it wasn't refunded when it was due to be refunded

- I have had 5000 PC points undeservedly posted just fairly recently for a credit card promo/SMS... (and it was pulled later after dozens of people here and on FT had nothing better to do than to report that they, too, got it).

LETTERBOY, MX and PointsCashMiles like this.
  5. PointsCashMiles

PointsCashMiles Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually had the 5000 PC points removed from my account even though I had what should have been a qualifying stay... never did get PC to correct the mistake...
    but to add to your point, I read recently that some Citi customers received 1,250 AA miles by mistake and were told they got to keep them:
    http://thepointsguy.com/2013/01/citi-bank-error-in-your-favor-collect-free-aa-miles/

kyunbit and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    kyunbit and LETTERBOY like this.