AmEx Secure Messaging

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by MX, Oct 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    It appears that American Express has eliminated email inquiry as a form of communication. Now when I press the little envelope symbol, I get a message encouraging me to use the online chat instead. There is no option to send a secure message anymore. The online chat option also does not appear at any time of day or night -- apparently only when an agent is available.

Does everyone experience this as well? I also tried to call AmEx to close one account -- had to answer an automated questionnair, only to get the message at the end that the right department for me is closed on weekends. I'm not exactly thrilled by these "enhancements".

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    SuperKirby likes this.
  2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are making all sorts of bad enhancements. First no MR shopping mall. The no points advance. For the phone side just press 0 till you get a person... usually works for me.

SuperKirby, bigx0 and MX like this.
  3. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    From Amex's website: "How can I contact American Express by e-mail?"
    "In order to better serve you, we now offer Live Chat as an alternative to emailing us. You can chat live with a Customer Care Professional to get immediate response to your inquiries."

Anytime something starts with "In order to better serve you" I know the next part is bad news. Like "In order to better serve you we've cut our hours and increased our fees" or "In order to better serve you we're sticking sharp sticks under your fingernails."

SuperKirby and MX like this.
  4. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, I guess that's only in the States because in Canada we still have the option to send secure email and I usually get an answer within 48 hours.

On the other hand, I don't think we have live chat available... I'm not sure I wouldn't actually prefer that just to get answers right away.

5. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is pretty obvious, but make sure you keep a copy of the chat transcript.

Of course, when something doesn't work the way they say it will ... you have to use chat to explain what happened ... which means a big long chat 'cut and paste' .... or, is there a limit on the number of characters in a chat window? Maybe this is deliberate?

6. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. Maybe it is deliberate afterall. Even a copy and paste or screen shot can be fabricated but the old fashion SM cannot. This way there is no liability to the CSRs anymore?

bigx0 and MX like this.
  7. Filler03

Filler03 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Chat with CSR is not coming up for me. It did about 2 weeks ago when I inquired about canceling my SPG card. This morning I went to the secure message center and it says the same thing about chat but there is no link. Does anybody know a sure fire way to get the Chat link to appear?