AMEX Premium Rewards or CHASE Sapphire

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by daboogah, Oct 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. daboogah

daboogah Silver Member

Status Points:
    Making a small trip with a buddy from HNL-BKK and its under 2K for each tkt but I wondered. 3 times points on the AMEX and 3 times for Chase. Would love to hear which is valued higher its still a nice chunk of points. I've made the minimum spends on both of them already so not too concerned on that end but at the end of the day, I'm on a desperate mission to stockpile as many miles since I plan on using those for a honeymoon later ... thoughts?

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you mean 2x via the Sapphire; not 3x.

Also I think which cards really depends on what your primary mileage account will be. MR goes to a lot of different programs, while UR goes to UA/WN/BA/KE I believe. What programs are you currently active in?

3. daboogah

daboogah Silver Member

Status Points:
    Im a *gold with UA. sorry for the 2x not 3x's! still too early and shaking cobwebs off before I ticket the item! I only have about 200k lifetime on UA, 400K with MR and 100K with UR. But I only got the Chase this year. It doesnt matter to me but thought. I guess ir MR is 3x then no brainer huh?

4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    do you have any miles in SQ/AC/etc that can transfer to from MR? Reason why I'm thinking this is ... 2k * 2 * 3 is only 12k Miles. You cant really redeem anything at 12,000 ... unless you plan on using MR a lot or fly SQ/etc. I would just use the Chase and keep the UR/UA.

But that's just me

5. daboogah

daboogah Silver Member

Status Points:
    nada on SQ. I do plan on blowing a chunk with NH when the girlfriend takes her final flight sometime early next year as a three cabin chief purser and we are kind of planning this so I need a BIG chunk so I can sit in the first cabin and position for it too. just want to get the max for this trip and making best use of which ever card. but i been loyal to UA (dont ask why) but I just get confused reading posts on how folks use all kinds of routings and hacks to maxumize mileage tickets later..

6. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I would go for the Chase Sapphire Preferred over any AMEX card. I value UR more than MR points due to the transfer partners. Pretty much all of the MR transfer partners have tax/fee compared to UR partners such as UA.

Cali94102 likes this.
  7. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although CSP booked on UR Travel site gives you 3x. What did you end up using?

Cali94102 likes this.
  8. murphbc

murphbc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Use chase sapphire and go through UR Portal to Travelocity and you can get 4x

Cali94102 likes this.
  9. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    AH, very cool!

Cali94102 likes this.
  10. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    4.28x pts, right?

Cali94102 likes this.
  11. karlmitchell

karlmitchell Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could go through the Ultimate Rewards store to travelocity but pay with the American Express PRG. When I last did this I got 2x UR plus 3x MR. Given that the 3x MR contributed to my $30k spend (which gives 15k bonus points), and that there's a 7% bonus on UR, I considered that to be 2.14 UR and 3.5 MR. Also, I have never transferred from MR for less than a 25% bonus, and so it works out as 2.14 + 4.2 = 6.34 miles/$. Pretty decent.

However, it's also worth considering what flight insurance you prefer. Chase SP comes with what I consider to be a better free insurance product (baggage delay insurance is included, for instance). Amex PRG is good, but to get baggage delay insurance you have to pay for the premium product, which may offset the benefit of the higher points return, especially if it's cheap tickets. Also, if anything goes wrong with the UR payout, it's hard to complain when you haven't used a Chase UR credit card. Lots of pros and cons.

SuperKirby and daboogah like this.
  12. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is great, didn't know much about Travelocity. So i.e., if I book a car rental with the United Club Visa, I will get 1.5 MP miles (for all regular purchase) + 2 UR points?