AMEX Premier Rewards Gold

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by youpaiyou, Oct 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello:

I recently received an AMEX Premier Rewards Gold card. My friend--who has been collecting points & miles for much longer than I--said I did not get a great sign up bonus since I had to spend 2K to receive 25,000 pts. Is he right? Also, does anyone know if I can get more bonus points by adding my wife as an authorized user?

Thank you for your time.

2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, you got the card you got. If you add your wife as an AU, the points will accrue faster, but remember this card needs to be paid off every month. I love mine, have earned 5k points each of the last two months from airline spend.

youpaiyou likes this.
  3. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends on what you think a good deal is. The current 'best' offer is 50,000 MR for spending $10,000 in 3 months. There was a 75K offer but it was only for one day.

At some point there was a 5K bonus for adding authorized users to a card but I think it was supposed to be limited to cardholders from South America, or something, and a lot of people who signed up for it did not end up getting the bonus. I am not aware of any current AU bonus.

youpaiyou likes this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    There have been bigger signup bonuses in the past but those have generally been targeted, eg some folks have gotten letters in the mail offering 75k bonus points. But 25k is the standard offer for this card.

youpaiyou likes this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    That's actually for the Business Gold Rewards card, not Premier Rewards Gold

youpaiyou and Quasiconvexity like this.
  6. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone!

7. JoeCortez

JoeCortez Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a huge fan of the AMEX Premier Rewards Gold, mostly because of the 2X points for gas and groceries. In OH/PA, I use it to buy gift cards at Giant Eagle, and then turn that around to get a discount on gas (all while doubling my points) and the 3X on airfare. I think if you spend wisely with it and use this as your go to for non-loyalty card airfare/gas/groceries, you'll make up for the sign-up bonus.

8. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whooops. So much for reading comprehension! :eek:

9. djtsukasa

djtsukasa Active Member

Status Points:
    The Business Gold Rewards is at 50K for $5K Spend in 3 Months. I believe the $10K in 3 months was for the targeted 75K MR offer.

10. julielou2
    Original Member

julielou2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The sign up bonus is okay...nothing special. The 2X on gas and groceries and 3x on airfare is a win. The $175 annual fee is atrocious....and keeps me away from this card

youpaiyou likes this.
  11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mine actually gave me benefits exceeding that in the first month I had the card. I've had the green for a number of years, finally upgraded to get the 3x on airfare (primarily). Story here. tl;dr version: I was upgraded on a room because I booked through Amex and it was a Gold benefit.

I've generally received 2.5x the miles I used to get on my Green card each month, so I've been accumulating points in programs I'd never been a part of before, plus adding to my backup plan (Avios).

youpaiyou likes this.
  12. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to cancel it before the annual fee is due.

13. Clocktower
    Original Member

Clocktower Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind, if you hit the $30k spend limit in a calendar year, you get the bonus of 15k points. That can ease the 'pain' of the $175 yearly fee considerably.

If you're not going to hit the spend bonus, it makes sense to switch to something like the Chase Sapphire where you earn most of your bonuses 'up front'. The AMEX PRG is a bit balanced in that bonuses are weighted evenly 'up front' (gas/groceries, etc) and 'on behind' (transfer and spend bonuses).

14. longroller

longroller Active Member

Status Points:
    Question, if you have an authorized user does their charges count towards 30k bonus or is it per card?

15. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    It should be per account not per card

malikguy likes this.
  16. babykoala

babykoala New Member

Status Points:
    yes per account

17. longroller

longroller Active Member