AMEX Premier Rewards Gold - won't award welcome bonus

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Denro, Sep 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Denro

Denro Silver Member

Status Points:
    I need to vent about my bad experience with the American Express Premier Rewards Gold card, and this seems to be the forum to do it. :)

For a little background, I have had the Hilton Honors Amex card for 13 years. Got the Delta Gold Skymiles card back in February 2013, and then in June 2013 applied for the American Express Premier Rewards Gold card. The offer was supposed to be 25K Membership Rewards after $3,000 in spend. I achieved the spend by July 2, but the bonus had not yet posted. So yesterday, I tweeted with American Express customer service to ask when the bonus would appear in my account. The rep stated it would take approximately 8 weeks, and I was in my 9th week. After tweeting back and forth, today the customer service rep called me to get more information, and after looking up my account informed me that I was not eligible for the bonus. She then pretty much dismissed me and said there was nothing she could do.

So, after thinking about it, I just started to get angrier, and then called to cancel my account. The rep thanked me for my loyal 13 year business, but after putting me on hold, informed me that I was not eligible for the bonus because of my other accounts. (Just a Hilton and Delta - never had a Membership Rewards account). Thus, I closed the account. The rep again pretty much dismissed me pretty quickly with no offer to keep the account open.

I actually applied for and was approved yesterday (the final day for the extra bonus points) for the Starwood Amex, so now I am nervous that I will have the same issues. Anyone else had similar issues or other issues with Amex?

2. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    From my experience, I have held thE same cards as you and applied for the Gold card, the points were posted in much less than 8 week, seems like only a few. I was also recently approved for the Starwood and with the card was a statement that after the spend I would receive the 30K points. There is something wrong with your experience and worthy of some follow up.

Denro and edekba like this.
  3. Denro

Denro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for your response. Yeah, I haven't heard of anyone else having these issues. Other than individuals getting the AMEX financial review, I've heard minimal complaints about AMEX. The first rep said that the offer that I clicked on did not include bonus points, although I had the screen shot from the link showing that it did, the final rep I talked to...a membership coordinator I think he was called, said it was because of the other cards that I had. I was a little worried because I might have had a pretty high CVS purchase, :D , and was afraid that I was flagged for that reason.

Any suggestion as to what kind of follow up? Or should I just wait a while and just apply for a new card? BTW, my account history with AMEX (as with all my credit) has been perfect. When I started actively participating in our hobby last year, my credit score was 840.

4. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    A phone call could clear up you question of if you will receive the Starwood points, did you get an email with the phone number? Sounds as tho you have applied for several cards in the past year, could you score have dropped?

Denro likes this.
  5. Denro

Denro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, after spending the past 2 hours chatting with various customer service reps, I was finally told the reason that I did not get the bonus points is because it is not available to current American Express cardholders. This is in the terms:

I hope the bloggers warn people that this could be an issue with some applications.

boondr likes this.
  6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which blogger's application did you use (if you don't mind sharing that info)?
    Perhaps you should also share your experiences with that blogger, or they might never become aware of it.

7. Denro

Denro Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have contacted the blogger whose link I used. I contacted him early yesterday, but haven't heard anything back from him. I do know that he is in the midst of traveling at the moment, so he may not have the ability or time to respond.

I'm hesitant to state the blogger simply because I don't think the problem is on his end. I don't want that blogger to blacklist me for possibly hurting his income stream. :) Although if you wish, I will private message you the blogger. I've actually tested out other ads/referral links from other bloggers, and links on credit.com, and it appears that American Express puts a cookie in your browser, so that when I click on a 25K bonus referral link, even though I am not signed into my AMEX account, I essentially am declared ineligible for the bonus offer.

For example, if I click on the Premier Rewards Gold link on credit.com that clearly states that there is a 25K bonus for $2,000 spend in 3 months, the Amex page it takes me to does not give me the 25K offer. But, if I go to another browser or use a private window where cookies are not saved, I can get the 25K offer after hitting the referral link. Thus, AMEX is identifying me as a current card holder, and immediately determining me to be ineligible for the 25K bonus offer, although I didn't notice this when I applied and was approved for the card back in June.

I just hope either the blogger that I got the referral link or another blogger(s) (or at least my posts) will inform people of the issue, so they can be careful before applying for the Premier Rewards Gold card if the goal is to get the bonus points.

MX likes this.
  8. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    This language has been in the T&C's of AmEx offers for a while now, the past few weeks, maybe. You should ALWAYS read the T&C's of any card you apply to, and resolve any questions, BEFORE you apply.

boondr, brucewil and Denro like this.
  9. Denro

Denro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, I agree. I not only read the T&C, but saved it, as I do for all my apps. That language was not in the T&C of the card when I applied for it. The mistake that I made was that there of course was no reference to the bonus points either. I was aware of that at the time, but made the mistake of assuming that since I clicked on an ad which stated that there were 25K bonus points, that everything would be ok.

That language that I quoted was actually not copied from a current T&C but copied from a small disclaimer link that is on a current offer. That link may or may not have existed on the application page in which I applied, I did not see it.

Since the bloggers are out hawking their referral links, I hope that some will begin to point out that this language exists.

10. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been following this thread and can see where some people have seen it in the T&C. There have been numerous stories of perople applying for both the business and personal cards and receiving both bonus's. Is your situation an isolated one or are there other people out there who have had the same situation? I agree with you that, if this is the norm bloggers have a responsibility to disclose it in their web page.

Denro likes this.
  11. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that this must be an isolated incident and something still does not sound right to me. I have been an Amex cardholder for years and I actually find Amex to have excellent customer service. I have multiple card with them (Surpass, PRG, Business Gold) and I just applied and was approved for the Starwood Personal and Business cards last week. I've never had any issues with bonuses or with customer service. In fact, Amex is my preferred credit card company due to my positive experience with them.

12. Denro

Denro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which card did you get first? I've had the Hilton for 13 years, so I don't know if that card or the delta or both is the reason for not getting the points. I applied and was approved for the SPG card on Monday. Hope I get the points.

13. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had the Hilton card for 10 years now, then the PRG personal, then business and now SPG personal then business a week later.

14. Denro

Denro Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm wondering if getting the Delta card back in February is what hurt me. Although the CR told me that all current card holders are ineligible for the points.

15. DCFlyer03

DCFlyer03 Active Member

Status Points:
    Denro - I am having the same problem with Amex. I'm beyond pissed. I signed up for the PRG in June 2013 for a 25k offer and met the spending requirement in the first statement cycle. I have had the SPG Amex since 2007 (I cancelled my PRG in 2007 for the SPG Amex). I recently received the 50k bonus for the BRG without any issue. What is really frustrating is that the they clearly offered me 25k points (I even called to confirm) and I have not had any of their charge products within 12 months (since 2007). They told me once that I wasn't elibilge due to my business gold card and once due to my SPG Amex. It's only available to "completely new customers to Amex" (not considering that I am bringing an extra $5-10k in spend on these cards per month that was previously on my CSP and Chase Ink). It's so shady.. Anyway, I have spent hours arguing with these people and I'm really ready to walk away from Amex.. It's such a hard decision because I'm a SPG Plat and love the SPG Amex...... But, I'm sooooo done with Amex "MembershipRipOff". I'm going to tweet them and write a letter to their HQ offices.

Denro likes this.
  16. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm in the same boat, DCFlyer03. I was interested in signing up for the SPG card during this last promotion - only to discover that because I'm a current AmEx card holder I wasn't eligible for the 30,000 Starpoints bonus offer. Give me a break! I've never had the SPG card, and the one card I do have with AmEx is a Green Card I've held continuously since 1987! (And there were no signup bonuses of any sort back in 1987, so this would have been the very first signup bonus I'd ever received from AmEx, ever.) I'll probably eventually end up getting the card as I do want an easy way to keep my current pitiful number of Starpoints from expiring before I can do something useful with them, but it definitely left me with a sour taste in my mouth.

17. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Guess it's a good thing I canceled my platinum card before signing up for the offer.

18. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    Denro: maybe the blogger can pull some strings and get you approved.

19. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Canceled the plat how long before applying for another? Sometimes they want you to wait a year.

20. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was less than a month. Wasn't intentional either. Just didn't see the value when I have a corporate platinum. Tried to talk me into converting it to a green and declined. Saw the SPG offer within a week or two then stumbled on this thread. Feeling lucky.

21. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good luck, hope it works!

22. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    No luck needed. Feeling lucky because it's already worked. 10k bonus for first spend already posted and well on way to remaining spend to get rest of bonus.

23. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very strange. here's my amex history...

Amex Gold 2009
    Upgraded to PRG 2010
    Upgraded to Plat in 2011 (25,000 bonus)
    Downgraded to PRG in Jan 2013

Then I started this whole CC game/churn this year...
    Applied for Amex Hilton Jan '13 NAF (40,000 points)
    Applied for Bus Gold Mar '13 (75,000 points, I had to fight for my bonus on this, but that only took 3 secure messages and a screen shot of my credit report showing Amex's credit pull was before the expiration of the offer)

Applied for Plat Mercedes June '13 (50,000)

Applied for Bus Plat July '13 (100,000, due to issues with Bus Gold I called after approval to verify promo, they said I wasn't eligible because Bus Gold and Plat count as same family, unlike personal, so I cancelled the bus plat right then and there. They did tell me that I would be eligible 12 months after my Bus gold)

Applied for Bus and Personal SPG July/Aug '13 (identical 25,000 offers)

No issues with any bonus posting except the Bus Gold which eventually got credited. The Bus Plat issue was clearly in the TC so that's on me. Glad I called before I spent $10,000.

So I don't know if it's up to the individual rep or what. How much do you spend with Amex in general? I spend about $50,000 annually across all Amex cards (including $20-25k at CVS).

24. freebird

freebird Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is off topic but.. Gave my AMX Rewards card back after being a member for 23 years. I haven't used it for two years and didn't want to waste $150 for another year. I call AMX to cancel the card and they didn't make any attempt to keep me. I guess they already knew that I have three other AMX cards.

25. Denro

Denro Silver Member

Status Points:
    My bonus points on the SPG Amex for first spend, just posted. So its not an issue with that card, just the PRG.

flyforawg likes this.