AMEX points to Star Alliance?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by grado, Aug 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. grado

grado Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm about to get credited for 75000 points from AMEX gold yet united is my preferred airline. I can't find a decent way to transfer them to star alliance. Any ideas? Thank you

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can redeem AmEx MR points via Aeroplan, ANA and Singapore Air. Those all offer redemptions on *A partners.

JohnDeere19 and IDGflygirl like this.
  3. grado

grado Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks WA. I asked because the mileage converter site indicated i couldn't transfer them to ANA so I appreciate your confirmation. I'm assuming its 1:1. See you at FTU in November! Jan G.

4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can also move to AC then post a transfer on points.com if desired. That's how I got my MR points to United when I needed to, though I more frequently xfer to SQ.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, 1:1, assuming it is a USA-domiciled MR account. Here's the link: http://www.membershiprewards.com/catalog/travel/TravelPartner.aspx?brandId=4338&N=&aid=54960.
    The devaluation here can be quite severe. I'd be very cautious of going down this path as a regular plan.

LETTERBOY and Sweet Willie like this.
  6. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You misunderstood. A trade is between parties for eve-ishn miles, with a cost of 1 cent/ mile. Would only do that to top up, though.

I'd totally avoid the transfers.

7. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    It wasn't a matter of being misunderstood. Rather you didn't post what you thought you did. My first reaction was the same as WA in that points.com transfers are to be avoided in all but a very few scenarios.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, I didn't. ;)

Still quite expensive. You're basically taking AC points which you've already paid 1-2 cents for via CC spend and then spending an extra penny/point to move them to another program. At that price you may as well just buy them outright at ~2 cents each and skip the charade.

It isn't a very good value.

9. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, most of my points are 3/dollar of spend (1/3 cent IOW), so....

Anyhow, it's just that it is doable if that works in a given scenario. It was less cash outlay the time I did use it, even factoring in everything else.