Amex point posting?

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by boondr, Sep 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do Amex rewards (SPG, MR etc.) post after the statement like Chase or when the points/ bonus are earned like Capitol One does it? Just curious.

jwsky and Kalboz like this.
  2. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    MR points don't post until you have paid the bill.

DJP_707 likes this.
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is not true. My MR point post when I get the statement. Payment is much later.

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

4. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well your account is different from ours then. When the statement closes it shows as the points being pending and after payment is processed they move thru to being in our account.

ACMM likes this.
  5. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    September 2012 Points Activity

Starting Points Balance As of September 1, 2012​

22,063​
    Earned​

0​
    Used​

0​
    Points Balance as of today​

22,063 Points​
    Additional Information:

Pending Points:​

[​IMG]
    2,487​

Just checked my AMEX account and this is what shows. The pending points are for the oustanding amount on my account which will be auto paid on September 13. So I guess I am not lying then about when points post.

6. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    A little smug, are we?

Actually, I think you're still wrong unless it's unique to your specific card. I believe they just wait a certain period of time after the statement posts to give you the miles, unless you're in a card that doesn't allow revolving balances. I don't use my AmEx that much at the moment. I still have 9 points pending from a Netflix subscription, even though I paid the bill well before the statement closed.

A little humility goes a long way.

LETTERBOY and Kalboz like this.
  7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes: No one said you were lying - I simply said what I see on my account - if that does not match your account well then YMMV ...

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess in the US of eh it is pending while in Canada it is immediate ... I will take immediate - thanks :)

9. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience, AmEx rewards in a relatively new account could remain "pending" for a long/uncertain period of time. When I inquired with a CS rep about that, she released the rewards right away. After that CS intervention, subsequent rewards started posting at the close of each billing cycle.

jwsky, Kalboz and boondr like this.
  10. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, my points always show as pending when I get my statement. Like 10 days later after payment is made they move to available. Of course I don't know if they would still process even if a payment is not made, since I always pay. But about 10 days after the billing statement is my norm.

Kalboz likes this.
  11. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    my SPG/HHonor always posts when the statement is generated and I get to see it.

That's when I know i have a bill to pay ...

Kalboz likes this.
  12. websteth

websteth Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just went back at looked. My Platinum Card and other Membership Rewards cards post as pending until the next statement is generated. The Starwood and Delta cards I have seem to post immediately when the statement is generated and don't have a pending period. Probably has to do with the differences in the programs. One being internal and the other an external.

vickers, Toula, Kalboz and 3 others like this.
  13. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Received my Canadian AX Platinum statement today ... on the back page ... 6 boxes
    - Previous Points Balance
    - Points Earned
    - Bonus Points
    - Points Adjustments - Empty
    - Points Redeemed - Empty
    - New Points Balance

I have entries in boxes 1,2, 3 and the sum of those is box 6 -- so for Canadian card holders the points are available immediately at statement generation if not sooner.

14. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well not a day after I asked the question my 10k SPG first purchase bonus posted in my SPG account, first statement doesn't close for another 2 weeks. So I guess purchases and bonuses are handled with separate priorities by AMEX.

15. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    So because I present evidence to prove my answer I am deemed to be a little smug and told a little humility goes a long way.

Reminds me my I don't bother posting on these boards too much these days.

MX likes this.
  16. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to see this. My SPG points posted from my SPG AMEX a few days after the statement generated, so I was expecting the same with Membership Rewards. But I have yet to receive Membership Rewards points from my AMEX Platinum and AMEX Premier Rewards Gold card, even after the statements generated and bills were paid. So the points should credit from my first statement when my second statement generates?

DJP_707 likes this.