AmEx platinum

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by guitartexan, Sep 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. guitartexan

guitartexan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have a question about the recent sign up bonus of 100k AmEX had back in May-June time frame.
    I called AmEX after receiving an invitation to apply. They were very nice over the phone and I was approved and have been using the card for about 10k spend since June. I called several times in August to verify that I met the spend requirements.
    I just called and am now being told that not only will I not get the 100k, but that I don't qualify for ANY bonus! Not even the current 25k they advertise!
    I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told the account is locked and the only recourse I have is to mail a letter to the account executive in N.Y., which I have done. The card still works and I use it all the time.
    Has this happened to anyone? Anyone have any advice or a person I could speak to? I have never had a platinum card and I hold an AmEx Delta reserve card since '09.
    Thanks for any help.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any idea why your account might be locked? Have you had any credit-related incidents in the last couple of months?

LETTERBOY and marcwint55 like this.
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I cannot see how the account can be locked but you are still able to use it. I would call back and get another person on the phone and see what they say.

LETTERBOY and marcwint55 like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Your account is certainly not locked or all charges would be declined. Call back and ask for a supervisor again.

lucky1 and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. guitartexan

Status Points:
    No, account is not locked, but the rep. Tells me that she is locked out of changing the bonus aspect of it. She said even supervisors can't go around it, and the only recourse I have is to write to corp. in NY. I did.
    Does that clarify?
    Thx

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. websteth

websteth Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did the upgrade the platinum and the bonus never showed up. After a little talking the rep found the problem and finally credited the missing points and added a few bonus points for the problem. I think it depends who you get. I'd call Platinum Services number first and then let them connect you to Membership Rewards. You seem to get a better/higher up person that way.

alohastephen and marcwint55 like this.
  7. guitartexan

Status Points:
    Muchos gracias for the replies. I did, websteth and you were right. I pursued the rewards line and FINALLY got to speak with someone who knew what she was looking at on her screen. The rep was very nice and we shall see what shakes out. The offer letter I got is long gone. I threw it away after I called and applied thinking that I would not need it. I WAS so VERY wrong. That letter would have been a slam dunk.
    I advise all you folks who receive a great offer in the snail or email, to save it or a screen shot. Without proof, this is what has happened to me.

GT

8. websteth

websteth Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully they were able to credit you the amount you were promised. Keep us posted.

alohastephen and marcwint55 like this.
  9. lucky1

lucky1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    good. now don't give up you are totally entitled to get this bonus without proof. they should be able to see your offer by themselves. if they refit just ask for elevation or twitter @Askamex.
    update us, all the best

10. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    This past February I applied for the one-day 75K Business Gold offer. Almost the first thing I did when the account was created was to send a secure message just confirming that I was enrolled in the bonus offer and confirming the date by which I had to meet the minimum spending. I got a very nice reply back. In my case, the bonus posted correctly but if it didn't I had that communication to fall back on.

boondr likes this.
  11. guitartexan

Status Points:
    I have received an email from AmEx confirming they have opened an inquiry(?). When I spoke with the rep., she indicated that if I was unable to get the 100k that in her opinion, I should at the minimum receive the 25k sign up bonus.
    Thats a long ways from 100k, but at this point, something would be better than nothing.

GT

12. guitartexan

Status Points:
    UPDATE! It took quite some time, but AmEx finally approved(?) me for 25k points. Hey, something is better than nothing, which ~0~ is what I would have gotten if I didn't fight for it.

NYBanker and ACMM like this.
  13. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    1.gif

14. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to hear. Thanks for letting us know the outcome.