Amex platinum upgrade for 25k MR points

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by bluefire, Dec 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. bluefire

bluefire Active Member

Status Points:
    I mentioned somewhere in a previous thread that I was very interested in the Amex Platinum card, and was hoping that somehow, someday I could get it with a 100k pt bonus. The problem is that I have a green card that I don't wish to cancel (truthfully it's primarily for sentimental reasons).

I just logged in to Amex and saw that I'm preapproved for a Platinum (interesting since it was always only Gold before... now I've opened 2 new lines of credit and it's become Platinum). The Platinum upgrade gives me 25k MR points and I keep my green card number, which (don't laugh) is part of the sentimental factor.

Think I should just go for it? A 100k offer may or may not ever come along and I could only take it at this point if my green card were cancelled for at least 90 days. Which, again, I don't want to do. And any other upgrade offer I've seen never offered any MR points at all. At least the 25k is the same as the public offers I've seen around recently.

Anyway, not asking anyone to make the decision for me, just curious on others' thoughts. Assuming you really wanted the Platinum, would you cancel your Green and hold out for a 100k platinum offer?

If I get the Platinum, I doubt I will ever fully cancel it (might downgrade though). Which I guess would leave me ineligible for a SPG bonus too. Hmm.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't know your reasons for desiring a Platinum card, but make sure you take into account the upcoming loss of access to Admiral Clubs and US Airways Clubs.

Muerl, marcwint55 and bluefire like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

bluefire likes this.
  4. bluefire

bluefire Active Member

Status Points:
    Hm, ok, this is a good point. I probably should wait for a bigger bonus. I think I should be ok if i dropped the green re: credit history because I have an old Amex Blue that shows the same 'member since' date on it.

I suppose I could get rid of the green and then do gold or platinum, whichever comes with a large bonus first.

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally I'm going to cancel my Amex Green based on that thread's discussion. I upgraded it to Platinum for the bonus, then downgraded again. Time for it to go so I can get a bonus for Platinum or PRG or whatever again in 90 days.

bluefire, marcwint55 and legalalien like this.
  6. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had the AMEX Platinum, from release, and got no bonus :mad:! That is what I get for being an early adopter...

Now, I am waiting for 1M MP's, if I go with the Centurion, but so far, no go.

7. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    What are the sentimental reasons?

8. penguinpoopparty

penguinpoopparty New Member

Status Points:
    Just as a bit of background, American Express uses the same underwriting techniques for all of their charge cards. Contrary to popular belief, if you qualify for at least their green card, you will qualify for any of their cards. The "pre-approvals" you see are targeted offers based on your age, sex, location, income, spending habits, etc. Plus it is also a marketing/branding decision to create loyalty, and the allusion of exclusivity (Of course American Express does have more strict criteria than other card providers.) The only reason someone would not be eligible to upgrade their card, would be that their account is either not in good standing, or their credit report has change negatively since first receiving their American Express card.

Additionally if you only have one account through American Express, your card number will stay the same no matter which card you have, so you don't need to really cancel anything. Just let them know you would like to upgrade (or you can do it online) and you will be eligible for the additional benefits for paying the higher annual fee.

But that said, I have the American Express platinum and it is well worth it despite not receiving the 100K bonus (I only received the 25K,but that extra 75K would have been nice) Accounting for the yearly $200 airline reimbursement (which I always use to purchase gift cards with) it only has a $250 dollar annual fee, even less if you use any of the other benefits, I don't really have any regrets not waiting.

Sammich likes this.
  9. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well that's something new I learned today from MP. ;) I went from Gold to Platinum within half a year, was kinda funny because I was only 20 at that time. But I guess that explains it.

10. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Huh? I don't think they would give me a Centurion card.

11. penguinpoopparty

penguinpoopparty New Member

Status Points:
    That is correct. Their centurion card is different, I meant all of their standard cards that don't require an invitation. You cannot apply for the centurion card.

12. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since it looks like you're getting a new card anyway, why not go for the MBZ plat? The sign on bonus is 50k with an annual fee of $475 ($25 more than the normal plat)

13. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can someone upgrade to the MBZ plat? I have Biz Plat right now and would (I assume) need to downgrade that after the year is up, and then wait x months to see another upgrade offer?

14. John Deere

John Deere Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is no MBZ biz Plat to upgrade to.
    Can't mix up personal and biz cards.

servo likes this.
  15. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    John Deere is correct. MBZ plat is a personal card so you cannot upgrade to it from a business line.

servo likes this.
  16. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, I'd need a Personal Charge card and then upgrade. Strangely enough, I have an upgrade offer from Amex to upgrade my standard Hilton Amex to a Delta Reserve card. Offers nothing when transferring from another card that isn't a Delta card, so I see no reason to do it, but interesting that it was offered in the first place.