Amex Platinum Retention Bonus

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by kbeveridge, Dec 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Just got my bill for my $450 annual fee for my Platinum Card-- anyone had any luck with a retention bonus from Amex lately? I tried earlier this year when my wife received numerous sign-up offers for 50k MR points but all I got was a donut.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

alohastephen likes this.
  2. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1. Just had my fee billed, but statement did not close yet. Would love to have a retention offer.

alohastephen likes this.
  3. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was just thinking the same thing. I don't suppose that the sign-up offer is churnable?;)

4. The last time (2010) I was ready to cancel the Platinum they offered me $150.00 credit to stay. I am guessing much may have to do with my spend through work - I charge about $250k on that one card. I did end up cancelling the card this year as I dont travel as much (used it basically for the lounge access). I still have the AMEX Starwood and Gold Premier Rewards card - both of these cards I also told them this year I wanted to cancel when the fee was billed. In each case it was waived via a credit the put on the statement and commitment to some spend (again I am guessing due to my spend - about $200k on each of those cards). In all of these cases I tell them I want to cancel the card (and am ready to follow through) I then get transferred over to their retention department which gives me an offer. Even there I haggle with them and threaten to cancel if they dont waive the total fee (at first they offer a part of it and I tell them to cancel the card if they dont waive it all). The Gold Premier Rewards they actually gave me more than fee back (after a spend commitment of $3000) Again with the platinum they were only willing to do the $150.00 never the full amount. Hope this helps

SuperKirby, alohastephen and TAHKUCT like this.
  5. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! That is definitely good to know.