Amex platinum or SPG Amex

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by steelgal32, Mar 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. steelgal32
    Original Member

steelgal32 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am new to all of this mile business ( goodness its like a full-time job). Today, I signed up and received the Amex platinum card with 50,000 bonus points. I am now trying to decide if I need the Amex SPG personal and business.
    Can someone much brighter than me explain why I should choose a $15,000 spend for an extra 10k SPG miles on Amex SPG over a $1,000 spend on platinum and how this will help me in the end? (assuming there is an end, right?!)

YULtide likes this.
  2. jammanxc
    Original Member

jammanxc Silver Member

Status Points:
    you should get both cards :)

3. TennisPro
    Original Member

TennisPro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let's be honest, if you've come this far... there is no end. [​IMG]
    Awesome on the Amex Plat! That was my first deal, too. It feels pretty good when you see those 50k membership rewards points post. It's mildly addictive.
    Definitely get both Amex SPG cards. Spend $1,000 on Amex Platinum first. Then, if you can spend $15,000 that you were going to spend anyway, put that on the SPG cards. More bonus. Still 10k bonus, even without the spend. Some folks on here get pretty creative to meet minimum spending requirements.
    Most folks on here value Starwood points at a greater value than Membership Rewards points, because of the 25% bonus to transfer to airlines, and some pretty decent hotel deals. Like probably a value of about 2.5 cents per SPG point, and maybe 1.8 cents per MR point. So, the SPG cards are good for spend anyway. That's my main spend card now, when not meeting some minimum spend requirement to get a bonus.
    Hope that helps. [​IMG]

ilimas likes this.
  4. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    TennisPro is correct. AMEX Plat has privileges that make the card worth having. AMEX Starwood points are more valuable.

5. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    A question about AM-EX SPG benefits....what kind of coverage does the card provide for car rentals? Do I decline the waiver based on the card's benefits? Based on some postings in the National Car rental forum, should I be concerned about declining the waiver? I know. so many questions...Help!!!

6. i recommend SPG

7. steelgal32
    Original Member

steelgal32 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the responses. I was beginning to think there was some secret handshake I needed to make to get a reply to my post! Glad to know it just takes a little patience! I am trying for spg biz and pers. tmrw. The fingers are crossed. I must say everyone in this forum is amazing, I have now turned the CPA at work into a churner.........so again, much thanks!

YULtide and Tim O'Brien like this.
  8. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would suggest, go for the Amex SPG personal but wait for the business in case they come up with a better sign up bonus promo.

Derek and TennisPro like this.
  9. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    while on the subject folks, I recently started dabbing my beak into the MR program (to date, I have 66K) and now just got the 3/18 Business Gold Card (50K bonus after 10K spend).....Now, I have 84,000 continental miles......Should I dump ALL the miles into CO before I cant anymore? I figure that would at least equal 1 first class ticket to anywhere and almost closer to a second one..............OR............should I redeem enuff from MR into CO and then use the rest for hotel gift cards? What do you folks suggest?

10. ilimas
    Original Member

ilimas Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes, totally addictive! I did exactly what you suggested and am currently in the process of racking up $15K in spending to earn the extra 15K Starpoints. I am anxiously waiting for the 50K MR points to post to be used to gain Silver Medallion status on Delta. http://dmn.delta.com/offers/getmore/

TennisPro likes this.
  11. TennisPro
    Original Member

TennisPro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome!

I'm stoked for you.

Also, you can "borrow" up to 60,000 MR points from your Amex Platinum now, and transfer them to Delta, in case it takes a while for your 50K MR points to post. Just call Amex to do this. Or, go to the Membership Rewards transfer page, request to transfer the points to Delta, and it will automatically advance you the points you request.

12. TennisPro
    Original Member

TennisPro Silver Member

Status Points:

I like to keep my Amex Membership Rewards points flexible, and not transfer them until I know how many I will need to "top-off" a specific airline account for a specific award.

However, since you won't be able to transfer to Continental after September 30, 2011, I would look at the Continental award chart, and transfer enough points just before then, to get the award you want.

http://www.continental.com/web/en-us/content/news/continental_onepass_rewards_20091027c.pdf

For 135,000 Continental miles, you can get a first-class round trip ticket to Europe, on Swiss Air. That's worthy. :)

Keep your remaining MR points until you need them, or before you cancel all Amex charge cards.

13. TennisPro
    Original Member

TennisPro Silver Member

Status Points:

You don't know the secret handshake?? Uh oh. :eek: