(AMEX Platinum) I should have known better

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by zshanlon, Jan 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I chose Delta as my airline for the Platinum airline reimbursement benefit...I should have know better. I tried the water in 2011 and got 3 $50 gift certificates reimbursed. Newly emboldened with this success under my belt I set off for my local airport in 2012 to go ahead and get the full $200 reimbursed in $50 GCs.

Now with 7 GCs ($350) in hand is where I should have counted my blessings and left the airport. Instead I tried to buy a $365 ticket from RDU to LGA for my wife. Delta had no answer for my request. The poor ticket agent didn't even know how to let me pay with a GC but this is just the beginning. To save time ill just lit the events...

1) Agent didn't know how to take a GC
    2) Global told her how but no one knows how to accept more than 1
    3) Red coat says not allowed to use more than 1 GC per ticket per the Dec. 15 release
    4) I explain that only applies to eCerts and DBVs
    5) She confirms I'm right but also confirms the system doesn't have the capability to accept more than 1 GC.
    6) Global chimes in and says I can't use a GC in my name to book for anyone else despite the GC T&Cs explicitly stating the contraty
    7) I ask for a refund
    8) Told I can have a refund for a 10% penalty which is documented in the T&C
    9) I argue that I shouldn't be charged the penalty since the GCs aren't usable for my purposes. I would have to fly 7x before next year when they expire which is easy enough for me as a platinum but most of my travel is business so I don't pay.
    10) I am refunded all my money IN A CHECK, not back to my card.
    11) I pay for the ticket with my credit card thinking I am going to get the extra points for free after I deposit the check in the bank.
    11) AMEX hasn't reimbursed my last $200 in GCs purchases which means I just out right bought the ticket...FML

rharrigill, alohastephen and tondoleo like this.
  2. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. jbecker614

jbecker614 Active Member

Status Points:
    Ouch. I don't know why Delta is so antiquated on the Gift Card options. It seems like most of the other carriers have online availability of gift cards. I did an experiment to see if I would get an Awards Builder purchase reimbursed, but that did not work. I did get a same day change fee reimbursed and that will probably be my preferred option until I hit Gold Medallion. I am probably choosing a different airline next year.

rharrigill likes this.
  4. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    That sucks, but considering the level of complexity (7 GCs), I think you could expect some sort of a hick up somewhere along the line.

rharrigill and zshanlon like this.
  5. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think thats a pretty good strategy. Use it to get medallion like perks. Once you reach platinum i'd change to your secondary airline because everything is basically free at that point.

rharrigill likes this.
  7. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know i know. I said I should have know better but I'm a perpetual optimistic...

rharrigill likes this.