AMEX Platinum customer service

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by chaotix, Sep 18, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. chaotix

chaotix Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was just approved for my first American Express Platinum card and got it in the mail today. It arrived not in an envelope, but in a small white box, which was kind of cool, but a bit disappointing once you opened it up. My wife's Chase Hyatt card was much more impressive when she received it.

I activated the card online, then attempted to call in to speak with a representative to activate all of the other great benefits that come with the card, like the airline credits, SPG Gold, and a Priority Pass Select membership. I called the number on the back of the card and was a bit surprised to find myself in a phone tree. After wading through many options, including inputting my card number, I was told that they had high call volume and I should call back if it wasn't urgent! I gotta say I'm a little disappointed. One of the things I loved about my Chase Sapphire Preferred was that when you called the number on the back it went straight to a live person.

What's everyone else's experience with AMEX customer service? I thought they were supposed to be one of the best in the industry? I guess I haven't actually spoken with a rep about my new card yet, but still...

2. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have 3 American Express cards now. Platinum, Premier Gold Rewards, and SPG. I have only called customer service one time, and that was when I received the Platinum card to activate the benefits (Priority Pass and SPG Gold). I remember there was a phone tree, but I didn't have a wait at all. I think I called late, after the kids went to bed.

I try to avoid the phone whenever possible. I do find the chat now feature handy, and I have never experienced a wait of more than 1 minute.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    chaotix and satman40 like this.
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Must be a USA thing as no phone tree in Canada. Direct to Platinum real person :)

4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have more than 4 AMEX CARDS, and also a CSP,

Give me Amex for protection any day, they go the line for you, so does Chase,

Amex is finishing a large promotion, the phone time is not a problem.

Both companies are great, 60 plus cards and love them all.

I have no complaints if one is a little busy,

Think if they had turned you down...

Glad you got approved...

iolaire, vickers, ACMM and 1 other person like this.
  5. chaotix

chaotix Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am glad I got approved. It wasn't instant, but I didn't have to call in. I checked my status a day after applying and got the good news. Not having applied for one of the "big" cards like this before, I was sweatin' it a little.

I applied through a link for Ameriprise customers which waives the annual fee and the fee for additional card holders. The initial phone message did mention that, so my card must have a different number than "normal" Platinum cards.

iolaire likes this.
  6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do ensure you take advantage of and enjoy the Centurion lounges. :)

7. andyroo31

andyroo31 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Every once in a great while I get a "unusually high call volume" message but it's never really been that long. I have a suspicion that the Platinum customer service reps take longer per caller given that they want to keep the cardholder happy.

BTW, when I got my Platinum card 5 years ago in came inside a platinum fabric book - sorry to hear that has gone away. Still, you'll get the nicest card stock promos in the mail! And as ACMM mentioned, definitely enjoy the Centurion Lounges!

chaotix, ACMM and iolaire like this.
  8. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    US really really needs to change to that

chaotix likes this.