Amex platinum card... UA/co benefits?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Phorever, Feb 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking about getting this cc for all of the travel perks, but I noticed there is no lounge access with UA.

Is this an ok card if I am flying united 90% of my flights?

alohastephen and tondoleo like this.
  2. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    This card will only get you into US lounges. As a UA flyer, it is of no use to you IMO

3. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are benefits to this card that may be of interest to you. Fine Hotels and Resorts. $ 100.00 reimbursement for Global Entry. $ 200 reimbursement for expenses other than tickets on UA/CO. You can enter a US Air lounge even if you are flying on UA. You do not need a US Air ticket. You get membership in Priority Pass. Perhaps that is beneficial to you for the other 10% of flying.

Only you can make the decision if the bonus points and the travel perks are good for you. Good luck.

kyunbit, Phorever, genemk2 and 3 others like this.
  4. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can use the $200 airline credit toward United, but the lounge access won't help you. As a UA/CO flyer, I do like this card (at least for the first year with the sign-up bonus), but you'll have to do something else to get you in the United Club.

YULtide, Phorever, genemk2 and 3 others like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget that the MR points also cannot be moved to MileagePlus, further reducing the value as a UA customer.

Depends on what benefits you want from a card, but I'd be hard pressed to recommend it as a good idea.

Phorever, genemk2 and alohastephen like this.
  6. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you need to have lounge access for UA, you should consider Chase Presidential Plus card.

Phorever, genemk2 and alohastephen like this.
  7. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Phorever, genemk2 and TAHKUCT like this.
  8. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all!

alohastephen and TAHKUCT like this.
  9. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If your only purpose is getting the card for UA benefits, then this card will probably not be worth the fee for you. If you are like me and want to diversify your miles and points earnings, then this would be a good card. I am primarily a leisure flyer and have only used the lounge benefits of this card twice this year. I did take advantage of the $200 credit, the car rental elite status, the concierge for dinner plans, and am about to use the $100 global entry reimbursement. I also participated in several Amex promos throughout the year that resulted in additional bonus points and statement credits. For me, those benefits along with the 50k membership rewards points are well worth the annual fee. Any lounge access is just an added bonus. Even if the membership rewards points don't transfer to your primary program, you might someday want to use an award for an airline other than UA. You can take a look at each benefit and determine if you would use it, but for at least the first year, I think this card is worth the fee.

Phorever, alohastephen and TAHKUCT like this.
  10. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I completely agree. I also love Amex Platinum benefits and is worth the fee for me. However, OP needs to decide what is the priority. Lounge access or other benefits.

Phorever and alohastephen like this.
  11. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like this card, and it has been part of why I have shifted a lot of my business to DL (lounge access, challenge to gold status, transfer bonuses to DL, etc.) Interestingly, since I'm now Gold with DL I may designate my $200 credit to UA (since I no longer have status with UA and have to pay bag fees, change fees, food fees, toilet paper fees, and the like).

I also really like the Priority Pass Select for international airport lounges (but still no access to UA lounges).

Phorever, alohastephen and TAHKUCT like this.
  12. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I may just pick this up for other benefits and use the 200 toward UA lounge access

alohastephen likes this.
  13. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Meh, I've tried to justify this card several times and I've come to the conclusion that it's worthless as a UA flier.

No lounge access, you already get GE w/ 1K (assuming that's applicable), you're probably not paying any bag fees (and thus won't be burning the $200), MR points don't transfer to UA, and I value MR points at 1 cent each, tops.

There are so many better cards out there. TY Premier springs to mind and even some of the Chase products are a better match.

14. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or have both cards: Amex Platinum and Chase Presidential Plus ;)

15. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no perfect card. One should a card by the benefits that are valuable and if the fee is worth.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Useless for UA lounges.
    I'm curious what of the "other benefits" are compelling, particularly at the rather high annual fee. The $200 and a couple of the other little things aren't bad, but FHR, IAP, cruise benefits and purchase protection are generally not worth $450 to me.

Phorever likes this.
  17. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's easy enough to justify for one year when you add in the sign-up bonus, but beyond that the lounge access (both Priority Pass Select and the amex lounge access program) are going to be what justifies the fee for most people.

Phorever likes this.
  18. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    The first year is really a no-brainer. You get the $200 each calendar year, so in the first year he can get it for 2012 and 2013, so that is $400 right there. So far, there have been very good success rates with using that money toward CO gift certificates, if you are so inclined. Plus, you get the sign-up bonus points, the $100 Global Entry refund, etc.... So, it is clearly worth it in the first year even for CO flyers. It does become a harder call in the second year if you are pretty much exclusively a CO flyer.

YULtide, Phorever and alohastephen like this.
  19. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's a nice thread over on the credit card forum with some general CC ideas. Most of those posting seem to like the Chase Sapphire card and the Amex Premier Rewards Gold card.

I'm a UA flyer; you may want to look at my post in that thread to see how another UA flyer is handling CC choices.

There's also been a recent thread on the Amex forum about the 2-for-1 int'l business class perk.

Short answer: I wouldn't bother with the Amex Platinum. If you're spending lots of $$$ on UA and want UA miles, consider the UA Select card. If you don't already have status with UA, consider the UA Explorer card.

And Gary Leff's blog is the go-to place for good credit card advice.

Phorever and genemk2 like this.
  20. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

If the op is going to be paying for lounge access, the $200 credit from Amex can be applied to UA/co lounge access.

Mr points don't transfer to UA/co, but do to a number of other star carriers, including carriers which have lower redemption rates than UA on select routes. So...study your patterns more closely...and where/how you wish to redeem. It might work better for you than people suggest.

21. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps useless for UA lounges, BUT the Priority Pass provides options for a variety of airport lounges that does not limit you based on your carrier. So if Phoever knows which airports he will be frequenting, it would be a good idea to check PP lounge availability.

Phorever likes this.
  22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you're headed to the lounge for a free drink it might be a wash. If you want actual service it won't be useful. If the totality of the value is in the free drink category I'd be willing to consider that, at $8/beer in the terminal, someone flying only UA might be able to still come out ahead just buying an occasional drink instead of making the trek to wherever the PPass Select club is and dealing with that.

Phorever likes this.
  23. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all again... One more question...

Do either of the UA cards allow you to earn eqm's?

Ttm... Your post was extremely helpful.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  24. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chase Presidential Plus 1k EQM per 5k spend

25. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    The UA Select card does. Up to 5k EQM per year for spending on united.com. I'm not sure if you can still get it; you may need to call and ask.

And you're welcome. Feel free to "like" it.

Phorever likes this.