AMEX Platinum $200 Airline Reimbursement on United

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by TUMD, Feb 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I created a gift registry and sent myself $200 on UA's website as many people on Flyertalk were reporting that this had worked without much problem. It has now been 2 weeks and my credit has not been applied so I inquired with AMEX to see if it would be through the AMEX chat without says exactly what it was that I spent the $200 on. I am now being messaged to describe the purchase so that they can process my request. My question is, should I say that it was sent to someone money through the gift registry or tell them something else that sounds good? What would you guys do? Or what have you done?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just recently (last two week) gifted myself a $50 and $150 gift. Both have been processed within a few days.

3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just gifted myself $175 and immediately got an alert from AMEX Biz Platinum that "Your account was used to make a purchase, however the Card was not presented to complete the transaction." While the alert is a normal fraud protection behavior when I make an online purchase, the merchant was identified as CONTINENTAL AIRLINES. Would this be an issue since I'd explicitly designated UNITED as my reimbursement airline? Is the AMEX system smart enough to connect the dots?

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No problem, most likely. I had the same thing happen. I even checked online for the authorization information after I charged the $50 and it showed Continental Airlines as well. But when the actual transaction posted, it was for "UNITED AIRLINES HOUSTON TX", and the credit went through without me having to do anything.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  5. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just buy 4 $50 gift cards on AA every January :) Those purchases usually get reimbursed within a week.

alfagirl likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The thing here is that Amex changed what they reimburse for UA. Whether intentional to stop people from essentially getting $200 back or not I don't know. I bought 2 x $100 gift certificates on united.com in January, just like last year, and they were NOT reimbursed. Only then did I bother to read the threads on FT about the change in Amex reimbursement behavior and created a gift registry and bought an additional $200 worth of "gifts" for myself.

foxberg likes this.
  7. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I've read somewhere in the past that the best practice is to buy $50 cards - AmEx might think that those are lounge passes. Unless they changed their policy only towards UA, but that would be quite strange.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not sure. Last year I bought two gift certificates for $100 each. The same failed this year. Then I bought a $50 gift for my gift registry as a trial, and that worked, so I then bought the remaining $150 in one shot. I wouldn't be surprised if Amex saw too much "breakage" with this fee reimbursement and is actively looking to filter out gift certificates/gift registries.

FlyingFree likes this.
  9. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Similar experience to HaveMilesWillTravel...last year bought $200 in gift certificates with no problem...this year I did $185 on the gift registry and again had no problem...credit appeared in 3-4 days. Given the benefits the Platinum Card has lost over the past year or so, you'd think they'd be more inclined to look the other way, but apparently this is not the case. Good luck!

10. flynow

flynow Silver Member

Status Points:
    Once the American Express platinum card has been changing what is the offer should get not you can't stay in American Airlines USAir's lounges ???

TUMD likes this.
  11. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Might have everything resolved. Just did the online chat for second time and this time the agent said she would manually put it through. Really no questions asked. Said it should take 3-5 business days so I will have to double check but I think it is all good.

12. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    What? Haha

13. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    That sounds like a Google translation...

rockyrock and flyforawg like this.
  14. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had the same issue. With American it looks like its pretty easy to add eGift cards, up to 8, to a single reservation. I had seen something about it being more difficult on United, perhaps allowing only one eGift card per ticket or something? Can't remember. Anyway, the nice thing about the registry is it avoids all of that. You can do numerous odd valued transactions and it all ends up in one pool.

15. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    No problem indeed, and it was very quick. Gifted myself $175 on Feb 21, and the credit appeared in my AMEX account on Feb 24. Will wait a couple of months before I gift myself the remaining $25...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  16. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    :confused:

17. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup, it is usually less than a week for me to see the credit on my account....:D

18. lordhux

lordhux Active Member

Status Points:
    I got the same problem, what did you do with the gift cert you bought? Thanks

FlyingFree likes this.
  19. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Put the $185 into the United Gift Registry, then used it to buy down the total cost of United revenue tickets for me and my wife...

20. caesar_1

caesar_1 New Member

Status Points:
    Hi - does anybody knows whether United gift registry/travelbank can be used to pay for lap child ticket/taxes combined with parent's award ticket?I am getting 3 award tickets+ lap infant ticket for the family using United points,and total cash for infant ticket are around $175... can i pay it using gift registry?
    Thanks!

21. bettina

bettina Active Member

Status Points:
    Can you use UA Gift Cards for airline taxes?

22. danielwood

danielwood Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bought and sent 200 ua gift registry to myself early this month and got refund in one week.