Amex Platinum 100k Offer

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Sfmom, Aug 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Sfmom

Sfmom Silver Member

Status Points:
    We just did our first AOR and my husband got the Amex Starwood, and he just got the offer for the Amex Platinum for 100k for $3,000 minimum spend in the mail. Does the Starwood disqualify him from the bonus? Don't know if we can apply for a CC so soon anyway.

2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    It should not. If it's the business Amex and he applies using the business information the overlap in times may matter less (or not at all).

boondr likes this.
  3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I WANT THAT OFFER!

(Sorry, don't have any valuable insight to offer)

Efilon87, love2mp, desamo and 2 others like this.
  4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would not disqualify him from the offer. You are usually just disqualified form the offer if you had a Platinum card within the past 18 months or something like that.

However it may be more difficult to be approved for the second card so close to the SPG approval. However I'd go for it. If you need to call in and try to overturn the rejection, the Platinum card gives you lots of benefits that the SPG card doesn’t have. It would be very easy to explain why you want that card in addition to the SPG card.

(Data point earlier this year both the Gold and Platinum card were offered “pre-approved” via credit cards.com, I applied for both on the same day and received an approval on both. So it seems possible to get multiple cards at the same time. But you case is different since the applications are not on the same day.)

boondr likes this.
  5. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It worked because it is a "glitch" in the system when you apply for both at the same time. It will pick up that you have one of them if you apply separately. I think it is the reason why all of DD 2/3/4 browser tricks work.

iolaire likes this.
  6. Sfmom

Sfmom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all this. He's a little reluctant to pull the trigger so soon - yes we are very green - he has also gotten this offer a few times, so we will probably wait and hope it comes round again. On a bizarre note, a he just received a second Bold Ink card with a different CC number - no CL posted. He's calling in the am to investigate.

7. wazupchris

wazupchris Silver Member

Status Points:
    100k for $3k spend! Nice!