Amex Plat + Global Entry by March?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by misterbwong, Feb 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have some travel coming up in the beginning of March and have been pondering signing up for Global Entry. Since the $100 fee is reimbursed by Amex Platinum, I was thinking of signing up for that as well.

What are my chances of getting the Amex Platinum AND getting approved for Global Entry by my trip in March? I'm based out of LA if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

2. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Probably pretty good. Amex is quick, and if approved they will sometimes overnight your card to you.

Global Entry interviews can be done at LAX, and there are often evening slots that never fill up.

misterbwong likes this.
  3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty good, if you want a referral for 50k Mr points and don't have someone else to gwt it from, pm me your name and email. Don't think there's a public offer as good currently.

As wombat said, Amex gets cards to you quickly.

misterbwong likes this.
  4. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget to sign up for Priority Pass at the same time just in case you find yourself in an airport that has a PP lounge! I learned this the hard way a couple of weeks ago.

5. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have Global Entry and used it for my first time in ORD. Was quick and easy, definitely recommend it to any frequent flier even if not getting reimbursed through AMEX. I applied a week ago for my wife and hoping she gets her interview by the end of next week as we are leaving the country next Saturday and I don't want her to delay our entry!

6. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    As others have said, there is enough time. However, if you have applied for a lot of cards and go into the application pending zone, it might be a big problem.

7. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    When in March are you traveling? Once approved for the card, you should receive it pretty fast. However GE is a completely different animal. You will need to subit an online application and get a pre-approval. The fastest pre-approval that I saw reported was about 2 weeks (if somebody got it faster, please post in this thread). Once pre-approved, you will need to schedule an interview at a participating airport. You might be able to schedule for the next day or might not see any openings for a week or two. YMMV, but my educated guess would be that you might cut it very close to your trip time. Keep in mind, you can schedule an interview on your arrival day.

8. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Took my wife and I less than 36 hours to be preapproved for Global Entry. Hers was <24 hrs. Mine just a hair longer. Could have scheduled an interview the next day too. So it COULD be as fast as 2-3 days total process. Could be much longer.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  10. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow. Things have really changed. Nice to hear.